Wagram - 6 July 1809 (Davout at Markgrafneusiedl)
As fighting on day one at Wagram sputtered out late in the evening, orders for the next day’s fighting were already being sent out from Napoleon and Archduke Charles.
Napoleon ordered Davout and his superb III Corps to strike the Austrian left from the flank at Markgrafneusiedl and roll it up. Charles sought to forestall this attack by ordering the Advance Guard and IV Corps on that flank to strike first, and strike first they did. Some of Davout’s formations were surprised and pushed back, but these were French veterans, and soon the Austrian attack ground to a halt. Not long afterward, Charles called the exposed Austrian units back to their defensive positions.
Now it was Davout’s turn. After a fierce bombardment, he launched his attack around 10 AM against the Austrian left.
Greeted by withering fire, the French infantry kept up the pressure and soon were fighting for the village of Markgrafneusiedl and had gained a foothold on the escarpment. About noon, the cavalry of both armies engaged in mass battles, with the Austrian cavalry eventually being thrown back. It was not long before Davout’s infantry took command of the Austrian left and began to roll up the flank.
The stage is set. The battle lines are drawn and you are in command. Can you change history?
• Commander: Rosenberg
• 4 Command Cards
• Optional 2 Tactician Cards
• Commander: Davout
• 6 Command Cards
• Optional 5 Tactician Cards
• Move First
• The three town hexes of Markgrafneusiedl form a Temporary Majority Group Victory Banner Objective worth 1 banner for the Austrians or 3 banners for the French at the start of the turn (Temporary Majority Victory Banner Turn Start)
• The Stone Tower is a Permanent Victory Banner Objective worth 1 banner for the French player when occupied at the start of the turn (Permanent Victory Banner Turn Start)
• The French player gains 1 Temporary Victory Banner at the start of the turn for each hill hex occupied and each hex occupied between the line of hills and the Austrian baseline (Temporary Victory Banner Turn Start)
• The Russbach is fordable and the ford hexes have no movement or battle restrictions.