Victory Results:
 49 %
Record a victory for BOTTOM ARMY  51 %
Total plays 49 - Last reported by Jamon79 on 2024-04-07 05:31:48

Aspern-Essling - 21 May 1809 (Day 1 Essling)

Historical Background
In a series of uncoordinated attacks, the infantry of the Austrian fourth column could not take the granary, a massive bastion, and pulled back. D’Espagne’s French cavalry, returning from its unsuccessful attack against the guns of the Austrian third column, was ordered to reform and charged the Austrian fourth column as it retired. Again, the Austrian infantry reacted quickly and formed battalion masses, which prevented any French success. Austrian cavalry, then moved forward, and forced the French cavalry to withdraw. The fifth column, having the greatest distance to march, was now in position around 8:00 PM and launched its attack. Using both the granary and the Long Garden as key defensive positions, Lannes skillfully deployed and redeployed his outnumbered troops to these critical points to maintain control of the village against the Austrian pressure.
After this final attack of the day faltered, Rosenberg ordered his Austrians to retire and wait for the Grenadiers and the rest of the Austrian cavalry reserve to arrive.
The stage is set. The battle lines are drawn and you are in command. Can you change history?

Set-Up Order

Forest 4
Hill 9
Town 3
Walled Garden 1

Battle Notes

Austrian Army
• Commander: Charles
• 5 Command Cards
• Optional 3 Tactician Cards
• Move First

Line Infantry Light Infantry Militia Infantry Light Cavalry Heavy Cavalry Cuirassier Heavy Cavalry Foot Artillery Horse Artillery Leader
10 1 1 3 1 1 2 1 3

French Army
• Commander: Napoleon
• 6 Command Cards
• Optional 6 Tactician Cards

Line Infantry Light Infantry Light Cavalry Cuirassier Cavalry Foot Artillery Horse Artillery Leader
5 3 2 1 2 1 4

Victory
9 Banners

Special Rules
• The 3 town hexes of Essling form a Temporary Group Majority Group Victory Banner Objective worth 2 banners to the side that occupies an absolute majority of the town hexes at the start of its turn (Temporary Majority Victory Banner Turn Start)

• The Long Garden is a Temporary Victory Banner for the Austrian player worth one banner when occupied at the start of the turn (Temporary Victory Banner Turn Start)

• The two side by side town hexes represent the Granary. A Granary has all the effects of a town, in addition, a unit, on a Granary hex may ignore one flag.

RiverWanderer replied the topic:
4 weeks 1 day ago

There are three errors in the "Battle Notes" section for unit composition:
1. The Austrians are supposed to have one Heavy Cuirassier Cavalry unit. It is not on the list.
2. The list shows three French show three Light Cavalry units. They only have two.
3. The list shows one French Foot Artillery unit. They are supposed to have two.

fixed, thank you for reporting,
airjudden replied the topic:
4 weeks 1 day ago
There are three errors in the "Battle Notes" section for unit composition:
1. The Austrians are supposed to have one Heavy Cuirassier Cavalry unit. It is not on the list.
2. The list shows three French show three Light Cavalry units. They only have two.
3. The list shows one French Foot Artillery unit. They are supposed to have two.
Pevans replied the topic:
1 year 2 weeks ago
Despite his unaccustomed drubbing a few days earlier, nephew Tom was up for another afternoon of games while he was between jobs a few weeks ago. This time we continued with our return match at this scenario.

Given what happened in our previous game, I expected a tough fight for the Granary. Tom moved more troops onto the hills to shoot at the Granary. This concerted fire took a toll on the French defenders, leaving the scores level at 2:2.

Meanwhile, I bolstered my right flank and then attacked, prompting another fierce battle around the Long Garden as the Austrian left responded in force. The scores remained close, one getting ahead then the other catching up and ending at 4:4.

Tom's Austrians then attacked on their right, the cavalry smashing their French opposite numbers even as the French infantry got the upper hand around the Long Garden. 7:8 is a small lead for Tom as one of the French Generals fell in the melee.

The final act was around the Granary with the French artillery finishing off a couple of battered Austrian infantry units for a hard-fought victory 9:8. As I won 9:4 as the Austrians, that's a crushing 18:12 overall!
Pevans replied the topic:
1 year 4 months ago
A week or so before Christmas, nephew Tom and I fitted in a on Vassal. We went for this scenario as the stats say it's a very even fight. As always, we used the Tactician cards and Tom drew the French.

After some skirmishing in the centre, Austrian infantry under Generals Hohenlohe and Rosenberg advanced on the right to engage the French Light infantry under Gen Fririon holding the Long Garden. The Light infantry fell, Gen Fririon escaping, and the Austrian Line under Hohenlohe took the garden. {A "Force March" card brings me the first banner to make the score 1:2 - remembering the French have two for holding Essling.}

As French artillery softened up the Austrians on the left, Hohenlohe and his men had to retire, having run out of ammo {Tom used a "Short Supply" Tactician card.}.

The Austrians continued to press on the right, Line infantry pressurising the French Lights in the woods right of centre. The Austrian Light cavalry trampled Gen Fririon on their way to thumping their opposite numbers and then occupying the Long Garden. {2:2}

The French Light infantry in the woods right of centre fought off one Austrian Line, which was then finished off by the artillery. But the next Austrian Line infantry eliminated the Lights to occupy the woods while the Light cavalry trotted out of the Long Garden to finish off the French horsemen and then force a reinforcing unit of Light infantry into square {shown by the yellow flash on the unit and that's 4:3}

The only problem for the Austrian Line infantry was that they were under the muzzles of the French artillery and a combination of the guns and French Line moving out of the town obliterated them. {Tom was lucky with his Combined Arms dice and that's 4:4.}

The Austrian infantry finally came off the hills in the centre, attacking the French positions in and around the Granary. Both sides lost a Line infantry unit, but the Austrians got into the Granary. {A "Bayonet Charge" gives me an attacking opportunity and the score's 5:3 as the French lose their majority of the town hexes.}

Continuing their attack, the Austrian infantry finished off the battered French infantry in the Granary (General Valery escaping) to take the whole thing into Austrian control and eliminated the infantry under Gen Boudet on the other side. This General scarpered too. {7:3}

The French advanced on the left, immediately allowing them to re-take part of the Granary with the loss of the Austrian infantry holding it while the French cavalry got in among the infantry outside. {7:4}

And then the Austrian cavalry charged home, chasing off the opposing horsemen and then destroying both French artillery units on the left, while harassing the unattached Gen Valery in the centre. {My turn for the lucky dice to get the artillery and that's a win 9:4}

For once I was able to attack with cards in my hand to continue that attack, first on the right and then in the centre. While Tom struggled with right flank cards in his hand after all his units in that section had gone. That was my most decisive win for a while, but we'll see how well I do when it's my turn to play the French.
LARS replied the topic:
3 years 3 months ago
The end at Essling, a big Austrian win 10-4. Charles was slow and steady on approaching the French positions slowly picking off blocks with artillery and ranged fire. The French cavalry was decimated by canister (twice). Napoleon must pull back is spite of the win at Aspern.
kostas63 replied the topic:
4 years 3 months ago
Vittoria Francese 9-2. Gli Austriaci attaccano e conquistano dopo molti turni il Granaio...ma per poco. L'intervento della cavalleria francese sulla loro sinistra e un buon uso delle carte tattiche (ben 6 per il francese!) ristabiliscono la situazione. La mancanza di carte per ordinare le truppe sul lato sinistro austriaco influisce non di poco sull'esito dello scenario.
Major Sholto replied the topic:
6 years 3 months ago
This was a very balanced scenario, playing to 9 medals. We traded body blows, back and forth. I finally forced the French from the defensive position in the Long Garden, gaining a medal and making the score 8 to 6. On his next turn, the French Cuirassiers devastated one of my Line Infantry units and took out a General. The score was now 8 to 8. All that was left was for me to take out a lone Light Infantry at his baseline. If I had rolled poorly, he would have easily won on his next turn.
Bangla replied the topic:
8 years 2 months ago
No doubt, this is a well balanced scenario. With the Austrians' burden of attack comes a sweeping advantage in that the French have no right flank (as defined by the sector cards). Creating a right flank by moving units across seriously weakens the centre; failure to do so can result in three or four right flank cards in the French player's hand which are useless. That happened to me just as I possibly had the upper hand. The only benefit was that my opponent was faced with a dearth of those same cards.

One rule change I would propose is that ALL cards have the possibility to order ONE unit (anywhere), not only some of the special cards.