Victory Results:
 57 %
Record a victory for BOTTOM ARMY  43 %
Total plays 47 - Last reported by Jamon79 on 2024-04-07 05:32:15

St. Michael-Leoben - 25 May 1809

Historical Background
Following the Austrian defeats in Bavaria and Northern Italy, Archduke Charles ordered Jellacic’s isolated division at Salzburg to join Archduke John’s retreating forces at Graz. At the same time, Eugene’s French army was marching northeast with the dual mission of pursuing Archduke John’s army and joining with Napoleon. Jellacic’s route intersected with Eugene’s. The race was on to see if Jellacic’s division could be trapped and destroyed. Grenier’s command was ordered to intercept Jellacic and his baggage train before it could reach St Michael and the river crossing. When the leading division of French under General Seras arrived on the field, the Austrians already held the key terrain. Jellacic knew his baggage train would take time to reach and cross the river. He now committed a fatal error. Instead of sacrificing his baggage train and escaping with his troops, he prepared to make a stand. His light troops had held off the French Advance Guard, but both French divisions were now on the field, so Jellacic deployed his outnumbered forces into a ragged line, taking advantage of the landscape. With numerical superiority, Grenier planned to attack the center and both flanks simultaneously. His plan worked, for when Jellacic weakened his center to shore up his right flank, the French broke through in the center. A rout ensued, with French cavalry pursuing Jellacic’s survivors for 20 miles and capturing thousands. The next day Jellacic joined John with but 2,000 disorganized survivors out of the 9,000 he had committed to battle.
The stage is set. The battle lines are drawn and you are in command. Can you change history?

Set-Up Order

Forest 4
Hill 14
River 6
RiverBend 2
RiverBridge 1
Town 2
TownWindmill 1

Battle Notes

Austrian Army
• Commander: Jellacic
• 5 Command Cards
• Optional 2 Tactician Cards

Line Infantry Grenzer Light Infantry Militia Infantry Light Cavalry Horse Artillery Leader
5 2 3 1 1 2

French Army
• Commander: Grenier
• 5 Command Cards
• Optional 2 Tactician Cards
• Move First

Line Infantry Light Infantry Light Cavalry Foot Artillery Leader
11 3 2 1 3

Victory
6 Banners

Special Rules
• The Austrian Baggage Train moves one hex along the Austrian baseline each turn during the Austrian player’s movement phase. Use an Austrian leader block to represent the baggage train. It may not move through any unit, but may move onto terrain. It may not be engaged in combat. When the baggage train reaches St. Michael, the Austrian player gains 2 Victory Banners (Permanent Victory Banner)

• The bridge is a Temporary Victory Banner worth 2 banners for the French player, when occupied at the start of the turn (Temporary Victory Banner Turn Start)

• The Mur River is impassable except at the bridge.

FAQ

When the baggage train block reaches St. Michael is the block removed?

Yes, the Austrians receive 2 VP and the baggage train block is removed.

Pevans replied the topic:
11 months 2 weeks ago
As he was sitting on that side of the board, Tom took the Austrians first. My French advanced in force on the right (on both sides of the river) to take the bridge and make the score 2:0. The Austrians moved across to re-take the bridge, forcing the French back.

With the Austrian centre weakened, the French pushed forward and smashed their way through the gap in the hills left of centre. The baggage train scored its two banners, but the French won, 6:5.

As always, the board looks very different from the other side. My Austrians moved forward on the left in an effort to ensure the French couldn't get to the bridge and the militia joined the line infantry on the hills. A general advance by the French led to an exchange of musket fire to and from the hills, units falling to make the score 2:2 as the Austrian baggage train approached St Michael.

The Austrian cavalry charged over the hills and bravely held up the French advance, but fell to the French horsemen. The score went to 2:3 and then 4:3 as the baggage train arrived at its destination.

The French cavalry pushed some Austrians off the hill and got behind their lines. Before they could exploit this, Austrian cannon finished off a battered French infantry unit and the General with it to win 6:3. (That's an aggregate score of 12:8.)

It's the baggage train mechanism that gives the Austrians a chance here, otherwise the more numerous French would just crush them. Good cards (Bayonet Charge and Force March) gave me the win as the French and a bit of luck with the dice the win as the Austrians.
LARS replied the topic:
3 years 2 months ago
As the train reached St. Michael an heroic militia unit brought the Austrian Banner total to 6. The French were overconfident leading 5-2 and in a flash it was all over 6-5!
kostas63 replied the topic:
4 years 2 months ago
Vittoria Austriaca 6-3. Data la forte superiore numerica i Francesi si lanciano in un assalto centrale per conquistare le colline prima che gli austriaci si organizzano. L'assalto quasi riesce ma l'intervento dei grenze sulla destra austriaca e dei due reggimenti di linea austriaci schierati vicino al ponte bloccano l'impeto francese. I francesi perdono il gen.Seras nel tentativo. I rifornimenti raggiungono St.Michael e gli austriaci portano a casa la vittoria.
Bayernkini replied the topic:
9 years 7 months ago

By the way, is the baggage train removed once it enters the windmill/ town?

A short "Yes" and i try to add a new subfolder "Scenarios" to the FAQ section,
where we can add such anserws.

So far the FAQ to this question is only here

www.ccnapoleonics.net/Maps/Fifth-Coaliti...ben-25-may-1809.html

but i agree, it should be also on the direct FAQ site ;)

And we allways looking for CCN Website assistants, which can help us, because the time of Alessandro and me is limited too :)
So if there is one, who could bring all FAQ into a single FAQ booklet, similar the FAQ of Memoir 44, let us know :)
Paul-Stone replied the topic:
9 years 7 months ago
Surprising how the Austrians can win this one. By the way, is the baggage train removed once it enters the windmill/ town?
Mark-McG replied the topic:
9 years 11 months ago
Seems like it is the French that need the help.
Just lost this 6-5 as the Austrians, but the cards were a misery.
Bayernkini replied the topic:
10 years 4 months ago
Never thought, that Austrians can win this scenario,
but i was pleasantly surprised, they can! :ohmy: