Victory Results:
 60 %
Record a victory for BOTTOM ARMY  40 %
Total plays 93 - Last reported by miketodd on 2023-11-20 05:34:00

Günzburg - 9 October 1805

Historical Background
After the debacle at Wertingen, Mack decided on a new plan, which called for his army to cross to the north bank of the Danube around Günzburg and march east. General Major d’Aspre was in command of the Austrian force at Günzburg and was instructed to watch for the French and guard the bridges until the army arrived.
Napoleon also saw the importance of the bridges at Günzburg and ordered Marshal Ney to seize these crossing points. Ney sent Malher to capture the bridges. Malher split his command into three columns. Lefol commanded the right column, but was hampered by the marsh along the river and could not make much headway. In the center, Marcognet crossed onto the island, threw back the Austrians (capturing dÁspre in the process), and began to move forward towards the village. The Austrians brought up their artillery and, after a futile effort to cross the bridge and attack Günzburg, the French gave up and fell back. The bridge at Reisenburg remained uncontested.
Mack persisted in his idea of crossing to the north bank and went on the offensive, but, as night fell the French turned back the Austrian effort and Mack ordered the army to retreat back to Ulm.
The stage is set. The battle lines are drawn and you are in command. Can you change history?

Set-Up Order

Forest 5
Hill 2
River 6
RiverBend 4
RiverBridge 4
RiverFord 2
RiverY 1
RiverY_right 1
Town 4
Marsh 2

Battle Notes

Austrian Army
• Commander: d’Aspre
• 5 Command Cards
• Optional 3 Tactician Cards

Line Infantry Light Infantry Grenadier Infantry Light Cavalry Foot Artillery Leader
5 2 3 2 3 2

French Army
• Commander: Malher
• 5 Command Cards
• Optional 3 Tactician Cards
• Move First

Line Infantry Light Infantry Grenadier Infantry Light Cavalry Foot Artillery Leader
7 3 1 1 2 4

Victory
7 Banners

Special Rules
• The four town hexes form a Temporary Group Victory Banner Objective for the side that occupies three of the four town hexes worth 1 Victory Banner at the start of the turn (Temporary Group Victory Banner Turn Start)

• Players may each gain 2 Temporary Victory Banners at the start of their turn, when their army has four units on the opposite side of the river, not including the island.

• The two center bridges form a Temporary Group Victory Banner Objective for the side that occupies both bridge hexes worth 1 Victory Banner at the start of the turn (Temporary Group Victory Banner Turn Start)

• The four bridges form a Temporary Group Victory Banner Objective for the side that occupies three of the four bridge hexes worth 1 Victory Banner at the start of the turn (Temporary Group Victory Banner Turn Start)

• The Danube River is impassable except at the bridges and fords. The river fords stop movement, but do not have any battle reduction.

miketodd replied the topic:
4 months 1 week ago
Austrians win 7-3. Despite some masterful strikes by French, they cannot take the central island and Austrian flanking maneuvers succeed.
Riclev replied the topic:
9 months 4 weeks ago
Difficult for the French to win indeed, but not well nigh impossible. I advanced over the Danube on the left and destroyed the Austria right flank for a 7-3 victory. Admittedly I am more experienced than my opponent and I had some reasonable cards. Moreover, two banners came from the death of D'Aspre and the capture of three bridges. The involvement of the French light cavalry was also helpful. I realise this doesn't help my argument, but I won the return game 7-0.
White Knight replied the topic:
4 years 7 months ago
A Grande Maneuver by the Austrians within the first 5 turns or so makes this battle well nigh impossible to win for the French. Throwing infantry attacks across bridges in the face of enemy infantry occupying a town is suicidal!