Victory Results:
 35 %
Record a victory for BOTTOM ARMY  65 %
Total plays 117 - Last reported by Pevans on 2024-03-24 18:22:32

Wertingen - 8 October 1805

Historical Background
After Napoleon had crossed the Rhine and wheeled to the south, he crossed the Danube and positioned his Grand Army behind General Karl von Mack’s Austrians, concentrated around Ulm.
In the opening clash of the Ulm Campaign, the French advance guard, under the command of Murat and Lannes, caught a small Austrian corps under Field Marshal Auffenburg unprepared and in an awkward location.
So swift was Murat’s cavalry advance that several of Auffenberg’s Austrian battalions were overrun or captured before they could put up any defense. The Austrian Grenadiers formed square, halting the French cavalry onslaught for a time, until Oudinot’s infantry engaged and shattered the squares. Cut off from their base at Ulm, the survivors of Auffenberg’s corps melted away to the west. The magnitude of the Austrian defeat shook Mack’s confidence, and affected his decisions for the remainder of the campaign.
The stage is set. The battle lines are drawn and you are in command. Can you change history?

Set-Up Order

Forest 6
Hill 3
Town 6

Battle Notes

Austrian Army
• Commander: Auffenberg
• 4 Command Cards
• Optional 2 Tactician Cards

Line Infantry Grenadier Infantry Light Cavalry Cuirassier Heavy Cavalry Foot Artillery Leader
9 2 1 1 1 2

French Army
• Commander: Murat
• 5 Command Cards
• Optional 3 Tactician Cards
• Move First

Light Infantry Grenadier Infantry Light Cavalry Heavy Cavalry Horse Artillery Leader
2 2 2 4 1 4

Victory
5 Banners

Special Rules
none

Pevans replied the topic:
3 weeks 3 days ago
My turn to lead the French against Evert's Austrians. My first move is to push the French cavalry forward in the centre to be in striking range of the Austrians. Evert moves troops up from the rear. However, I have a "Force March" in hand, so use this to attack the Austrian left flank with Oudinot's infantry.
I've drawn another "Force March", so I send Oudinot's men after the retreating Austrians, wiping out the two Line infantry. (It seems the Austrian Line's Achilles heel is having to retreat two hexes for each flag rolled - bad news when they're close to the edge.) This opens the scoring, 2:0 in my favour.
Evert retreats the Austrian Cuirassiers into the town, leaving him no units on his left. This turns out to be bad news as he keeps drawing left section cards!
Time for me to play the "Bayonet Charge" I started with. (It was a damn' fine starting hand!) Oudinot's infantry move into the centre, but the Austrian Grenadiers in Wertingen town prove to be a hard nut. As does General Baillet. Despite being on his own, he survives the attentions of an entire unit of Grenadiers under Oudinot! (Yes, I know it's unsporting, but I'm not playing the British here.)
The Austrian right flank advances while I bring up a cavalry unit, forcing an Austrian Line infantry in the centre to form Battalion Mass. Evert advances the Grenadiers in support, but they have to form square and are taken out by Oudinot's Grenadiers (Gen Baillet is still there, but I've given up on him). That's 3:0.
The Austrians get one back as the Grenadiers in Wertingen take out a Light infantry - 3:1. My Grenadiers eliminate the Line in Battalion Mass with the help of the Horse artillery - 4:1.
Gen Baillet joins the artillery in the centre, but the guns completely fail to make an impression on the French Grenadiers (unlucky dice for Evert). The Grenadiers then join the Heavy cavalry in overrunning the guns to finish the battle. That's 5:1 and another win for the French. Though the overwhelming French cavalry played little part in it. (The aggregate score is 8:6 to me.)
That was over even more quickly than the previous game - just 45 minutes, though it was 17 turns (two more than last time). I was helped by a good starting hand (for the infantry) and Evert suffered as he drew poor cards - he even had to play a card that did nothing at one point, something I haven't seen for quite a while.
I don't think we've seen the Austrians at their best in this scenario. We'll see what the next one brings us.
I’ve also posted this report on my BGG blog (with pictures!): boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/159470/return-match-wertingen
Pevans replied the topic:
3 weeks 3 days ago
Having finished with the Russians, my regular sparring partner, Evert, and I have started on the Austrians. Evert has the French for this game - can he do as well as Murat and Oudinot?
Well, he starts, as many of our games do, by playing a "La Grande Manoeuvre" card. He throws the French infantry forward on the right. The Austrian Cuirassiers and Line infantry respond, eliminating one French Grenadier unit and leaving a battered Light infantry under General Oudinot in square. This makes the score 1:0 to me.
The French cavalry starts moving forward, but I mop up the square, Oudinot falling with his men to make it 3:0.
Then in comes the "Cavalry Charge" from Evert. The French Heavy cavalry sweep across the board, taking out an Austrian Line infantry on the right and Light cavalry on the left. In the centre, the horsemen are repelled by Austrian Grenadiers going into square and Line infantry forming "Battalion Mass”. That's 3:2.
The Austrian Cuirassiers take on the French Heavies on the right, but fall to the French sabres - 3:3.
With mostly left section cards in hand and only one battered unit on that flank, there's not a lot I can do as the French take out the Grenadiers' square (3:4) and then that lone unit on my left - 3:5 and a win for the French.
I was right, it is an odd scenario and it looks like the Austrians are on a hiding to nothing.
On another note, we were using the beta 5.0 implementation of the module on Vassal. Building on his player aid enhancements in the previous version, Mark B has added a lot more context-sensitive improvements. Notably, there's a "Combat Assist" that calculates the number of dice to roll, shows any retreats required and adds a Leader roll if necessary. It's all useful stuff and we found it noticeably speeded up the game - this scenario took just over an hour for 15 turns.
I’ve also posted this report on my BGG blog (with pictures!): boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/159436/starting-napoleonic-austrians
miketodd replied the topic:
4 months 4 weeks ago
Easily won by Austrians, 5-1. French advance towards Austrian right stopped, with mass battalion squares holding down the flank around towns—French couldn't breach.
LARS replied the topic:
3 years 4 months ago
Just had a crushing French defeat! 5-1. The Austrian cuirassiers just mowed down a French heavy and a light in an attack and bonus attack. The French got penned in on the right of the map. Ouidinot tried to bail out Murat, but to no avail. A charge by the Austrian Grenadiers took out the French horse artillery and it was just a matter of time. Very fun.
NightOwl3 replied the topic:
3 years 8 months ago
Just played my first game with this scenario. I was the French. GRs on the French right were able to hit hard the two Austrian LN, while several bonus cards allowed the HC to hit en mass the Austrian line. Two Austrian units in square tied their hand. Bonus attacks by the French HC punched through routing the army. French wins 5-1.
Michalxo replied the topic:
4 years 8 months ago
We have played 2 games with wife & standard (blue) cards. Both wins went to Austrians.
French had problems with left flank cards (first time more, second time less). Quite interesting scenario overall, after 5 years.
First win 5-2 , second 5-3.
LARS replied the topic:
6 years 2 months ago
5-4 win for the French. The game ended with Beaumont charging the Austrian artillery with 4 light and 4 heavy cav. The heavies were blown back by canister but the light cav managed a canon and two swords out of four dice. The Austrians were helped tremendously by the cards, pulling two Rallys and in the Tactics Deck, pulling Infantry Fire First, Canister and Break the Square, all of which had a substantial effect. But the Austrian left had problems going into square and then facing musket fire from the French lights and the horse cav. Nothing happened on the Austrian right.
RiverWanderer replied the topic:
6 years 6 months ago
After a few solo plays, my view is that the French player is likely to win providing they don’t blow their infantry in head on assaults early on. Hold off a little whilst bringing the cavalry in to see off the Austrian cavalry and artillery, and pin down Austrian infantry in the open. It can still be close depending on die and cards. As Austrian, getting the infantry forward and into woods, towns and onto hills, should help...but it takes so long, of course. I shall see when I get chance to play this opposed.
proyce replied the topic:
6 years 8 months ago
Played this yesterday as the Austrians. The Austrians won 5-4. French used Cavalry Charge on first turn and then attacked with cavalry on next turn as well. Austrians went into battalion mass and rolled a flag 4 times in a row! Cavalry charge for Austrians was devastating, with dice rolls of 2-3 cav or saber hits on French cavalry. The French came back by destroying the Austrian left flank, but the Austrian grenadiers won the game by taking out a couple of French grenadier unit and leader on the same flank.
9 years 6 months ago
Easily won by French in 10(?) turns by 5-0. Impossible to do anything with poor Austrians this time.
Great cards on one side, terrible on the other. :)
10 years 2 weeks ago
5-4 for French player. I would say it is card dependent scenario. For me it is 60-40 for French after 1 game played.
GG replied the topic:
10 years 2 months ago
This scenario seams balanced ... as the hands are balanced on the long range. I never felt so dependant of the cards like in this scenario! I have to check the other ones quickly ...!

:unsure:
Mark-McG replied the topic:
10 years 3 months ago
did you use the Battalion Mass rules?
General-Eble replied the topic:
10 years 3 months ago
Played this twice today with regular CCN opponent Master Chief. Both games went to the French, the first quite easily 5-0 due to a well timed cavalry charge by the French which forced the Austrian to 3 cards and fcombat dice that couldn't hit the side of a barn. The second round also went to the French 5-3. Much closer result but still an easy win though.
Both of us think the best tactic for the Austrian is to fall back and let the French come to you, shooting them up as they approach.