Eggmühl - 22 April 1809 (Day 2 Alteglofsheim)
As the infantry of the beaten Austrian army passed northwards, Schneller’s exhausted Austrian Cuirassier brigade reformed yet again. They were joined by Stutterheim’s light cavalry, which included some of the very best troopers in the Hapsburg army.
Both commanders knew there was little chance for victory, and that their only real hope was to delay the victorious French long enough for darkness to halt the pursuit. Save the guns! The Austrian artillery was ordered to limber and retire, and only then was the first Cuirassier charge of this moonlight battle launched against Nansouty’s equally tired Cuirassier Division. The Austrians crashed into the Carabinier Brigade and stopped the French cavalry advance, but were in grave danger of being surrounded by superior French numbers when they were rescued by the second wave. The Austrian light cavalry moved to outflank the French cavalry that were now engaged in melee, but the Württemberg cavalry dashed across the stream and threw back the attempted Austrian flanking move while Seydewitz brought more Bavarian cavalry forward. With this, the outnumbered Austrians broke and ran. Charles himself and some Austrian infantry were caught up in the disorder of the retreat, but the French cavalry were by then completely blown, and could not maintain an effective pursuit.
The stage is set. The battle lines are drawn and you are in command. Can you change history?
• Commander: Schneller
• 4 Command Cards
• Optional 2 Tactician Cards
• Move First
• Commander: Nansouty
• 4 Command Cards
• Optional 4 Tactician Cards
• The French player gains 1 Victory Banner for each French unit that exits the battlefield from any Austrian baseline hex.
• The Austrian player gains 1 Victory Banner when the Austrian artillery unit exits the battlefield from any Austrian baseline hex.
• The stream has no movement or battle restrictions. A cavalry unit ordered by a charge card, however, that attacks into, out of, or when it moves across or moves across on its breakthrough, will not gain the addition dice listed on the charge card.
(Update 2015-02-16: Richard Borg)