Victory Results:
 68 %
Record a victory for BOTTOM ARMY  33 %
Total plays 40 - Last reported by Jamon79 on 2024-02-18 06:57:05

Chateau-Thierry - 12 February 1814

Historical Background
After losing the battles of Chapaubert and Montmirail, the Allied forces were in full retreat towards Chateau-Thierry and the safety of the Marne River. Napoleon, seeking to deal a final blow to the Prussian army and end its participation in the Sixth Coalition, was in close pursuit. Marshal Ney caught up and overwhelmed the Russian rear guard on the Allied left and quickly rejoined Napoleon for the attack against the Prussians, who were making a stand before the Marne at Chateau-Thierry. As the French deployed for the attack, Yorck’s main goal was to hold the line long enough to give the majority of his army the opportunity to cross the river to safety. French infantry went in, pinning the Prussian front lines. Napoleon enjoyed a rare superiority in cavalry, and being Guards, they ran roughshod over the Prussian cavalry opposing them. Disaster loomed for the Prussians as the French cavalry gained the plateau behind the Prussian lines. As the beaten Prussians streamed toward the Marne bridges, they made good their escape because a few valiant battalions went into square and sacrificed themselves against the French cavalry and well-placed artillery held off the French infantry. Napoleon had won the battle, but none would have escaped, had Macdonald moved more quickly, as ordered, to Chateau-Thierry.
The stage is set. The battle lines are drawn and you are in command. Can you change history?

Set-Up Order

Forest 4
Hill 8
River 7
RiverBend 4
RiverBridge 2
RiverFord 1
Town 6

Battle Notes

Prussian Army
• Commander: Yorck
• 5 Command Cards & 3 Iron Will Counters
• 4 Tactician Cards

Line Infantry Light Infantry Reserve Infantry Grenadier Infantry Light Cavalry Militia Lancer Cavalry Foot Artillery Horse Artillery General
4 2 2 1 1 1 2 1 3

French Army
• Commander: Napoleon
• 6 Command Cards
• 6 Tactician Cards
• Move First

Line Infantry Light Infantry Young Guard Old Guard Infantry Light Cavalry Guard Light Cavalry Guard Heavy Cavalry Guard Horse Artillery Guard Foot Artillery General
4 2 2 2 2 1 2 1 1 4

Victory
8 Banners

Special Rules
• The Prussian player receives 1 Victory Banner for every Prussian unit that is ordered and exits the battlefield from any hex on the Prussian baseline.

• The French player gains 1 Temporary Victory banner when a French unit occupies a bridge at the start of the turn (Temporary Victory Banner Turn Start)

• The Marne River is impassable except at the bridges and ford.

• French line infantry units are conscripts and do not receive one additional die in melee when attacking an enemy

Get the French player 1VP for each bridge or only 1.

- The French player get 1VP for each bridge, he occupies.
(Richard Borg: 2015 - June - 09)

Hugmenot replied the topic:
2 years 4 weeks ago
Very unbalanced and boring

The French needs to have better cards and dice than the Prussians to have a chance at victory, and even that may not be enough. As the Prussians, I had terrible cards (and 4 left section cards I could not use for half the game when I had no units in my left section), terrible dice (I did not eliminate one French unit) and the French had better than average cards and very good dice. Despite all these advantages, the French only managed to win 8-7 and I even had a low odds attack on my last turn that could have brought me victory.

Of the two dozen scenarios I've played, this is the worse and it's not even close. The only thing for it is that it plays very quickly for a 8-banner scenario.
LARS replied the topic:
3 years 1 month ago
The French had good cards at the start, a Force March and Bayonet Charge. This was not in itself decisive, but forced the Prussians to react. The Prussian strategy was to pull off the map of course, and indeed were able to get 6 units off by the end of the game, but in the process only destroying one French Light Infantry. The French however had many one block units which had distanced themselves far enough from the Prussians to avoid elimination, including all of the Guard infantry units. The French Cavalry won the scenario by capturing both bridges and forcing the remaining infantry into squares. French victory 8-7. I did not believe it would be close at all upon set up. A surprisingly interesting scenario in which the initial card draw will likely play a significant role.
General Eble replied the topic:
7 years 8 months ago
It was an 8-3 victory to the Prussians but only because they got the Le Grande Manoeuvre card at a time they could use it to exit 4 units in one turn. French frustrated at start with unsuitable cards to close on the Prussians till near the end.
GG replied the topic:
8 years 4 months ago
Another big unbalanced escape scenario I fear ... :(
Bayernkini replied the topic:
8 years 10 months ago
TAG Search:
- Banners: 8
- Years: Sixth Coalition
- Army: French / Prussian
- Game Box: Marshals&Tactician
- Special Rule:
Exit Victory Banner; Temporary Victory banner;