Chateau-Thierry - 12 February 1814
After losing the battles of Chapaubert and Montmirail, the Allied forces were in full retreat towards Chateau-Thierry and the safety of the Marne River. Napoleon, seeking to deal a final blow to the Prussian army and end its participation in the Sixth Coalition, was in close pursuit. Marshal Ney caught up and overwhelmed the Russian rear guard on the Allied left and quickly rejoined Napoleon for the attack against the Prussians, who were making a stand before the Marne at Chateau-Thierry. As the French deployed for the attack, Yorck’s main goal was to hold the line long enough to give the majority of his army the opportunity to cross the river to safety. French infantry went in, pinning the Prussian front lines. Napoleon enjoyed a rare superiority in cavalry, and being Guards, they ran roughshod over the Prussian cavalry opposing them. Disaster loomed for the Prussians as the French cavalry gained the plateau behind the Prussian lines. As the beaten Prussians streamed toward the Marne bridges, they made good their escape because a few valiant battalions went into square and sacrificed themselves against the French cavalry and well-placed artillery held off the French infantry. Napoleon had won the battle, but none would have escaped, had Macdonald moved more quickly, as ordered, to Chateau-Thierry.
The stage is set. The battle lines are drawn and you are in command. Can you change history?
• Commander: Yorck
• 5 Command Cards & 3 Iron Will Counters
• 4 Tactician Cards
• Commander: Napoleon
• 6 Command Cards
• 6 Tactician Cards
• Move First
• The Prussian player receives 1 Victory Banner for every Prussian unit that is ordered and exits the battlefield from any hex on the Prussian baseline.
• The French player gains 1 Temporary Victory banner when a French unit occupies a bridge at the start of the turn (Temporary Victory Banner Turn Start)
• The Marne River is impassable except at the bridges and ford.
• French line infantry units are conscripts and do not receive one additional die in melee when attacking an enemy
Get the French player 1VP for each bridge or only 1.
- The French player get 1VP for each bridge, he occupies.
(Richard Borg: 2015 - June - 09)