MT01 Philadelphia campaign

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #390 by mk20336
Replied by mk20336 on topic MT01 Philadelphia campaign
Round 5, MM01 Germantown (4 October 1777)

mk20336 (Continentals) - 5 banners, 9 blocks lost (+5 recovered from various Rally)
MarkMcG (British) - 2 banners, 20 blocks lost (+2 recovered from various Rally)

A very interesting and tense scenario (much more than the final result) where first time in my CCT plays cavalry played a key role.
Chew Mansion was of course a focal point of the battle, which I tried to storm many times - in the process 3 of Marks units were destroyed and 2 of mine - btw, mine died in most curious way, as both were dispatched during Infantry Retire & Reform battle cards (each time 2 hits!)

But it was a cavalry which took all the glory, first pinning the Regular infantry to map edge and than forcing another 2 block unit to retreat and fail the rally check. I think this was really model usage of that unit on unsupported enemies - they do not hit on sabers so are really no use in pitched battle.

Great scenario, thanks to Mark for playing.

File Attachment:

File Name: Round5-MM01.vlog
File Size:59 KB
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by mk20336.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #391 by Mark-McG
Replied by Mark-McG on topic MT01 Philadelphia campaign
Michal's report should state Germantown

one of those battles where I couldn't get a hit, except when Retire & Reform was played, so I could shoot them in the back. :-)

the Continental cavalry was down to 1 strength, and then Michal rallied and got a great roll, moving them back to full strength. Got to say I don't recall rallying anyone, I think my only effort rolled a double ART (on an infantry). So the 2:1 hit ratio is impressive, but more so because I was in cover for the most part. So I was ignore a lot of symbols and flags as well!

More
3 years 8 months ago #392 by mk20336

Mark McG wrote: Michal's report should state Germantown

Corrected! Was still asleep in the morning after long evening with CCT.

More
3 years 8 months ago #393 by rfdoane
Replied by rfdoane on topic MT01 Philadelphia campaign
Round 3, 104 Brandywine - Knyphausen’s Attack (11 September 1777)

rfdoane (Continentals) - 7 banners, 14 blocks lost
mirkobruner (British) - 3 banner, 13 blocks lost

The British began with a recon in force and pushed ahead with the grenadiers on the left, a regular in the center, and the Highlanders on the right. The grenadier fell victim to some lucky dice and was eliminated in a Continental counterattack. The British then made a strong push on the right to cross the fords and take one of the two building hexes. They chased the Continentals away, but the militia made use of a Whites of their Eyes card to fend off the Highlanders and then eliminate them on the next card play. From this point on the action was focused squarely in the center. The Continentals had enough center cards to steadily exit units off the map and get to 7 banners.
Attachments:

More
3 years 8 months ago #400 by gotigerssc
Round 5 Germantown (4 October 1777)

gotigerssc (British) - 5 banners, 4 blocks lost
Gonzo (Continentals) - 0 banners, 16 blocks lost

The dice and cards came together perfectly for the British in this one. Felt like every roll resulted in a hit and every turn had a lot of rolls. British were able to move fairly quickly up the center and left to reinforce the mansion, and held it the entire time. They then slowly picked off the Continentals. Continentals made a late push on the British right but it did not come in time.

Best of luck to Gonzo in his remaining matches!

File Attachment:

File Name: Germantown.vlog
File Size:46 KB

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #401 by Mark-McG
Replied by Mark-McG on topic MT01 Philadelphia campaign
Round 3, 104 Brandywine - Knyphausen’s Attack (11 September 1777)

Jim (Continentals) - 5 banners, 17 blocks lost
Mark McG (British) - 7 banners, 14 blocks lost

British started off with a Line Volley, and thence 3 successive Line Commands to push across the river and capture 1 house. Continentals fell back in good order beginning their exit parade. The nadir came when another British line volley failed to hit much of anything except an artillery, which immediately reformed to full strength in the next turn. Continentals had killed one Regular, and exited 2 units with a 3rd pending a queue forming.

At this point caution was thrown to the winds, coinciding with General Knyphausen arriving on the front line. Knyphausen personally led forward the troops, capturing the hill majority, destroying a Continental Light artillery, a Rifle unit, captured General Sullivan at sabre point, and then blocking the retreat of another Continental artillery unit that led to it's destruction. Guess that is why this scenario is called Knyphausen's attack!!

In other news, my first use of a Ranger unit was a disgraceful failure, and the rest of the British Army managed to rout a Continental militia on the Right flank. Only British movement on the left flank was the rifles that retreated in the opening cannonade. Continental exited another unit.

File Attachment:

File Name: 104vsJim.vlog
File Size:54 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: 104vsJim2.vlog
File Size:25 KB
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Mark-McG. Reason: adding logfile

More
3 years 8 months ago #402 by gottoman
Replied by gottoman on topic MT01 Philadelphia campaign
Round 4 Brandywine (Greene's Rear Guard)

British gotigerssc 6 banners 9 blocks lost

Continental Greg O 7 banners 21 blocks lost

This battle was a tense affair, which started slow with a British probe on the left which sent a Continental regular back a space to hit behind the woods from the line of 4 British units that had a bead on him. The American's began the queue to leave via the road, when the Brit's stole a march and were suddenly too close for comfort splitting a wedge between the Light in the woods and the Militia and Armstrong. The American cards were not goo on the right flank and a feeble attempt to dress ranks was countered by the Brits bayonet attack which bagged Armstrong, then routed a milita, and the American light, leaving a lone militia that soon followed his compatriots in flight. At this point Wayne and a lone regular tried to hold the road open for the Yankees. He held firm during one push by the Brits, tried to reform and failed as he moved towards the exit. A Continental light in the woods near the exit must have surprised the Brits with volley and a infantry ranged bonus card play, getitng a pair of flags which routed the Brit and Hessian units and Grant along with them in a very lucky turn for the Americans just when it appeared to be hopeless. The Brits pushed hard in the center and left flanks, eliminating the American Light artillery and a Regular with withering volleys, but the majority of Americans moved back behind the tree line and the American Light Cavalry on the left stood firm against numerous volley while two more American units were able to exit over two turns and the victory was sealed...a very narrow win against a fierce opponent. While the Americans couldn't toss a die with an infantry symbol on it's face, a few flags were enough.
Attachments:

More
3 years 7 months ago #403 by gotigerssc
Round 2 Brandywine-British Flank Attack (11 September 1777)

mk20336 (Continentals) - 2 banners, 15 blocks lost
gotigerssc (British) - 7 banners, 14 blocks lost

The British slowly swung their right flank around and moved toward the hill. Ultimately, it was that repositioning that led to the win by controlling four hill hexes. Most of the action was on the center-right portions of the battlefield with the British lines only making minor advances on the left-center. A bayonet charge that isolated three British grenadier units on the battlefield was crucial for the victory. Surprisingly, they held for the remainder of the battle and were never completely defeated. Although, lucky dice rolls were the only reason they were left standing. Tough loss for Michal, but he did manage to take back the Birmingham house on his last turn for an extra medal.

File Attachment:

File Name: BritishFla...ack.vlog
File Size:42 KB

More
3 years 7 months ago #404 by mk20336

gotigerssc wrote: Round 2 Brandywine-British Flank Attack (11 September 1777)

mk20336 (Continentals) - 2 banners, 15 blocks lost
gotigerssc (British) - 7 banners, 14 blocks lost

The British slowly swung their right flank around and moved toward the hill. Ultimately, it was that repositioning that led to the win by controlling four hill hexes. Most of the action was on the center-right portions of the battlefield with the British lines only making minor advances on the left-center. A bayonet charge that isolated three British grenadier units on the battlefield was crucial for the victory. Surprisingly, they held for the remainder of the battle and were never completely defeated. Although, lucky dice rolls were the only reason they were left standing. Tough loss for Michal, but he did manage to take back the Birmingham house on his last turn for an extra medal.

File Attachment:

File Name: BritishFla...ack.vlog
File Size:42 KB

Definitely one of the most disappointing experiences with Vassal dice I ever had...

More
3 years 7 months ago #405 by Gonzo
Replied by Gonzo on topic MT01 Philadelphia campaign
105 Brandywine - Greene’s Rear Guard (11 September 1777)
rjvonline (British) 2 banners 5 blocks lost
Gonzo (Continentals) 7 banners 9 blocks lost
Rather quick game. Race on British right as Continentals fless down road, leaving militia to their fate. Quick march and bombard got 6 Continentals off the board. A British Lt on other flank routed after 1 hit and flag for final banner. Thanks to rjv for the game.

Time to create page: 1.577 seconds