Victory Results:
 37 %
Record a victory for BOTTOM ARMY  63 %
Total plays 38 - Last reported by Jamon79 on 2024-03-09 01:28:56

Möckern - (French Left) 16 October 1813

Historical Background
Napoleon had chosen Leipzig as his central position to defeat the widely separated Allied armies as they advanced to give battle. His first target was the Army of Bohemia advancing from the south. Early on the 16th, Napoleon had ordered Marmont’s Corps to join him at Wachau to provide the needed numerical superiority. Later in the day, General Drouot’s grand battery had destroyed two Russian divisions, opening the gap for a crushing final attack, but Marmont’s corps had not arrived. The reason – Blücher, Napoleon’s implacable enemy, had advanced from the north more quickly than anticipated, and the arrival of Blücher’s advanced guard required Marmont to turn back to face the approaching Prussians and Russians.
The French had drawn up between Möckern and Podelwitz, when Blücher decided to go on the offensive. Langeron’s Russians were ordered to move forward on Gross and Klein Wiederitzsch, while Yorck and the Prussians advanced on Möckern. Both commanders realized the strategic significance of Möckern, and the village changed hands a number of times through the day’s fighting. Several of Marmont’s regiments were formed from sailors and naval gunners. Able-bodied and well disciplined, they performed miracles holding off superior numbers of Prussians. With all Prussian reserves committed, Yorck ordered his cavalry to charge Möckern. The bold move swept away the remaining French in the village, but the exhausted Prussian cavalry was unable to pursue what was left of Marmont’s forces as they fell back to Gohlis.
History would write that the lack of the Marmont’s troops at Wachau would deprive Napoleon of his only chance for a clear victory.
The stage is set. The battle lines are drawn and you are in command. Can you change history?

Set-Up Order

Forest 5
Hill 7
River 3
RiverBend 4
RiverBendFord 1
RiverBridge 1
Tower 1
Town 4
Walled Farm 1

Battle Notes

Prussian Army
• Commander: Blücher
• 5 Command Cards
• 4 Iron Will Counters
• 5 Tactician Cards
• Move First

Line Infantry Light Infantry Reserve Infantry Militia Infantry Grenadier Infantry Light Cavalry Heavy Cavalry Militia Lancer Cavalry Foot Artillery Horse Artillery General
2 2 2 4 2 2 1 3 3 1 5

French Army
• Commander: Marmont
• 5 Command Cards
• 4 Tactician Cards

Line Infantry Light Infantry Light Cavalry Foot Artillery General
7 2 2 3 4

Victory
10 Banners

Special Rules
• The five hexes (town, tower and manor) of Möckern form a Temporary Majority Group Victory Banner worth 3 Temporary Banners for the Prussians and 2 Temporary Banners for the French when that side occupies an absolute majority at the start of its turn. The French starts with 2 Victory Banners (Temporary Majority Victory Banner Turn Start)

• The Allied player receives 1 Victory Banner for every 2 units that exit the battlefield from any hex on the French baseline.

• The Elster River is impassable except at the ford and bridge.

• The Stream has no battle restrictions, but stops movement and will break a cavalry charge. This means a cavalry unit ordered by a Charge Command card will not gain the additional die listed on the Charge card. This applies to a cavalry unit moving onto the stream, a cavalry unit that starts the turn on the stream, or a cavalry unit that is on a breakthrough.

511 MÖCKERN - French Left (16 October 1813)

How am i supposed to field 3 Prussian Grenadier Units ? My Prussian Expansion only came with 2 and the GMT Expansion has no extra Grenadiers

It´s a mistake in the scenario picture/setup!
The Prussian Grenadier unit on row three (in front of the other two grenadier units) is supposed to be a Foot Artillery unit.
(Richard Borg: 2015 - December- 06)

LARS replied the topic:
3 years 1 week ago
With half of his leaders down, Blücher calls off the attack. 10-2 victory for Marmont, but the block count was closer at 26-20.
oppi replied the topic:
8 years 3 months ago
Cool, Thanks !

im still halfway into the game, so unfortunately that Front row Grenadier Unit is in full action now :) So far it seems doable for the Prussians, but we´ll see
Bayernkini replied the topic:
8 years 3 months ago

Hi Michael
Good Catch
It is my error not GMT, I think.
The Prussian Grenadier unit on row three (in front of the other two grenadier units) is supposed to be a Foot Artillery unit.

Richard Borg

Answer is here, i´ll update the FAQ immediately!
oppi replied the topic:
8 years 3 months ago
thank i god i dont have a misprint :) would be nice to know how GMT responds
8 years 3 months ago
Never noticed this before, because Vassal don´t limit the number of units ;)
but you are right,
either the scenario setup shows the wrong number of prussian GR
or GMT supplies the wrong number of prussian GR.
I´ll check it ;)
oppi replied the topic:
8 years 3 months ago
How am i supposed to field 3 Prussian Grenadier Units ? My Prussian Expansion only came with 2 and the GMT Expansion has no extra Grenadiers ? For my play yesterday i used the Guard Grenadiers, but i searched quite long for the extra pieces just to realize the Manual says 2 Grenadier Units....
8 years 5 months ago
We should wait a few more games, if this is rally outbalanced, then i believe, finally Allies should win more games ;)
The French are outnumbered on all 3 sections and need a good combination of command-/tactician cards and dice, to win here.
And if you play this scenario 5 times, without any Allies victory, change once your game partner and you can play 5 times against me (i took Allies then), then we will really see, if the Allies have a disadvantage here :whistle:
GG replied the topic:
8 years 5 months ago
Allies with no card on their right is a massacre ... Hope not another total unbalanced?
8 years 9 months ago
TAG Search:
- Banners: 10
- Army: Prussian
- Special Rule:
Temporary Majority Group Victory Banner; Exit Victory;