Victory Results:
 19 %
Record a victory for BOTTOM ARMY  81 %
Total plays 77 - Last reported by RiverWanderer on 2023-12-15 16:39:29

Auerstadt - 14 October 1806 (7am - Noon)

Historical Background
Napoleon mistakenly believed that most of the Prussian army faced him at Jena, and ordered Bernadotte and Davout to concentrate and attack the Prussians from the rear. On the morning of battle, the majority of the Prussian army was marching away from Jena and toward Davout’s advancing III Corps. As Gudin’s infantry division advanced in a dense fog, it clashed with the Prussians in the village of Hassenhausen and drove them out. As the fog lifted, Blücher rashly led forward the Prussian cavalry. Gudin’s men formed square and repulsed the assault. Davout could now see he was greatly outnumbered, and ordered Friant and Morand to march to his aid immediately. He also sent urgent appeals to Bernadotte and his I Corps to support him. Bernadotte, most likely out of professional jealousy, left Davout to fight alone. Meanwhile, Emperor Frederick and Brunswick, the Prussian commanders, were surprised to find French units to their front. Their indecision delayed massing the Prussian infantry and artillery to drive the French from Hassenhausen till 10 a.m. By that time, Friant, with his division and the corps artillery, arrived to help secure the French right and repulse the Prussians. During the attack, Brunswick was killed and Schmettau was wounded, causing more command confusion. A full hour elapsed before the next Prussian attack went in against the weak French left. Davout personally led the counter attack, reinforced by Morand’s division, whose timely arrival preserved the left flank and drove back the Prussians. The Prussian high command remained passive, and did little to bring up fresh troops. Davout on the other hand, wasted no time attacking and driving the Prussians from the field in the afternoon, winning the most signal victory of his career.
For many years thereafter, the III Corps retained an aura of invincibility. Napoleon was justifiably furious with Bernadotte and meant to court-martial him, but never did—a mistake in retrospect.
The stage is set. The battle lines are drawn and you are in command. Can you change history?

Set-Up Order

Forest 6
Hill 10
Town 5
WalledFarm 1

Battle Notes

• Commander: Frederic
• 4 Command Cards & 2 Iron Will Counters
• Optional 2 Tactician Cards

Line Infantry Grenadier Infantry Guard Grenadier Light Cavalry Heavy Cavalry Cuirassier Heavy Cavalry Foot Artillery Horse Artillery Leader
8 2 1 1 3 1 2 1 4

French Army
• Commander: Davout
• 6 Command Cards
• Optional 5 Tactician Cards
• Move First

Line Infantry Light Infantry Light Cavalry Foot Artillery Horse Artillery Leader
10 3 2 3 1 5

Victory
10 Banners

Special Rules
• The two town hexes of Hassenhausen form a Temporary Majority Victory Banner Objective worth 2 Victory Banners for the side that occupies the absolute majority of these hexes at the start of the turn. The Prussians start the battle occupying of the majority and start the battle with 2 Victory Banners (Temporary Majority Victory Banner Turn Start)

• The French player gains 2 Permanent Victory Banners for each Prussian leader eliminated from the battlefield.

LARS replied the topic:
3 years 3 months ago
An amazing 10-4 route of Davout! A tough struggle for the first third of the game with Hassenhausen changing hands twice and a dramatic French cavalry charge which routed some Prussian units, however the Prussians managed to pull two Grande Manoeuvre cards in quick succession and used them to concentrate in the center. They proceeded to obliterate the French who had no response except to weakly counterattack on the flanks.
Hexagoon replied the topic:
3 years 5 months ago
Similar view to others, this was a French win both times (10-5 & 10-6) and seems inevitable. Same outcome but by different routes, dictated by the cards. French dominated the centre section in the first game, but won by a heavy left flank attack on the second game and never managed to throw the Prussians out of the town in the centre. Still a good game, and tense if you're French because an easy victory is expected!
kostas63 replied the topic:
3 years 6 months ago
Vittoria Francese 10-4. I francesi di Petit e Gudin assaltano Nassenhausen ma al contrario dei pronostici i granatieri prussiani resistono e tengono la citta'. Con una "Marcia Forzata" i Granatieri della Guardia prussiana appoggiati dalla fanteria si avvicinano per fornire aiuto ai granatieri asseragliati. I francesi si perdono d'animo lasciano perdere la conquista di Hassenhausen e decidono di attivare le unita' di Morand sulla loro sinistra. La mossa francese si rivela decisiva poiche' i prussiani non riescono a convogliare aiuti nel centro e poco a poco sia i granatieri che la guardia vengono eliminati o costretti a ritirarsi. I francesi riprendono il controllo della citta' quando appaiono di sorpresa i Dragoni e i Corazzieri prussiani di Blucher. La sorpresa dura poco...i Corazzieri sfondano e creano scompiglio tra le unita' francesi ma le unita' di Morand eliminano due unita' prussiane sufficienti per dare loro la vittoria.
NightOwl3 replied the topic:
3 years 7 months ago
Prussians attacked the center, but could not hold or reinforce the town. Lack of cards/resources led to small and separated attacks. The French win 10-4.
castanos replied the topic:
4 years 2 months ago
I can´t understand the initial deployment. The Prussian grenadiers are an esay pease prey for the French in the first turn. That provides 3 VP for the French. The horse artillery and the cavalry will also suffer heavy loses. Too much advantage for a scenario where French is not outnumbered by Prussians. Just played twice and Prussians didn´t manage to score more than 6 VP.
Mark-McG replied the topic:
6 years 6 months ago
that seems correct to me. 2 banners per leader (instead of 1)
proyce replied the topic:
6 years 6 months ago
We are playing this scenario right now. French are leading 7-4 after just killing a Prussian leader. There is a special rule that says: "The French player gains 2 Permanent Victory Banners for each Prussian leader eliminated from the battlefield." We are playing this to mean that the French player gets 2 banners when he eliminates a Prussian leader, rather than just 1. If the French get 3 banners for eliminating just 1 Prussian leader that just seems excessive to us. The Prussians have to put their leaders at some risk in order to use many of the Tactician cards, so if they lose 3 banners when a leader is eliminated they stand almost no chance of winning. We are also playing that the French gets no banners if a Prussian leader voluntarily retreats off the board. What do you all think?
Edit: French won 10-5 after eliminating another Prussian unit and leader.
Gregg replied the topic:
7 years 2 months ago
I like that idea. You could also let the Prussians go first then as well.
Check out this link as well about the battle: johnsmilitaryhistory.com/Auerstadt.html . It includes some cool photos of the battlefield as it looks today and it includes some phase by phase historical maps.
7 years 2 months ago
Something that is oft mentioned is that Gudin put his entire Division into square as a precaution prior to the mist lifting. So a potential balance to this scenario would be to have the 4 French LN in the centre section start in square. This would entail have 4 French cards start on he square track, so I'd suggest the French player choose the 4 cards to be placed, and then the Prussian player place them on the square track.
7 years 3 months ago
Whilst I tend to agree that this scenario is pro-French, the scenario title of 7am to noon may throw some light on the relative numbers.

Looking over some of the online articles like
www.historyofwar.org/articles/battles_auerstadt.html
www.napoleon-series.org/military/battles.../c_auerstadtoob.html
it seems likely that not all the Prussian forces listed were present, or if present, were deployed. The Prussians were trying to retreat of course.

As a scenario, it seems to have some blow out scores towards the French, whilst I suspect the Prussian victories are tight. Be good to see an EPIC version of this action.
Gregg replied the topic:
7 years 3 months ago
And of course, I played Auerstadt again without modification, and the French squeaked out a 10-9 win. So maybe it is more balanced than I initially thought. That said it still seems weird to me that the French have more units than the Prussians in this one.
Gregg replied the topic:
7 years 3 months ago
Played this one solo. French won 10-1. Blucher was killed in a desperate cavalry melee north of Hassenhausen. I am seeing that many of the Prussian scenarios are heavily weighted towards the French. That probably makes sense given how things went in 1806. Auerstadt though seems like one that should have more play balance. Davout and III Corps took on the bulk of the Prussian army, yet the French have 13 infantry units while the Prussians have 11. It seems like the French should only have 7 or infantry. I am going to try it again with removing 3-4 French infantry. It might be interesting to play this scenario by bidding to be the French based on how many of the Line infantry you would go without.
Michalxo replied the topic:
9 years 1 month ago
Haha, I would love to say, "typical prussian scenario". Lost 10-0 with Mark. Had no luck, no cards nothing as Prussian.
Next game, I had no cards, no good dice as well, but lost as French. Luck is bit*h :D