Intercontinental Tournament 2023

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #8617 by Burnabybob
It's strange that the results are so even on the ccn.net page. I wonder if many of those are due to people not reading the special rules carefully.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #8620 by Mark-McG

It's strange that the results are so even on the ccn.net page. I wonder if many of those are due to people not reading the special rules carefully.
if a scenario is decided by whether a player gets particular cards, then the draw of those cards will fall 50/50 in all likelihood. 

it would be interesting to know how many units the Brits exit in the games, but this is not the worst Exit scenario, Zornoza is worse. The Zornoza Victory condition requirements might be appropriate here (the first 3 exits don't count as banners). The card draw variation is what makes it hard, and I think removing the LGM card is the best solution.

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
[img][/img]

More
10 months 3 weeks ago - 10 months 3 weeks ago #8638 by Mark-McG
Round 2  418 Ligny (16 June 1815)
Game 1
Gileforn (Prussians) 6 banners
Mark McG (French) 11 banners

French tried to lead the dance with this match, starting in the left where they had most cards and then across to the Centre, and finally a lurch into the Right, more pushed here than chose it.

Andrey was masterful in his responses, just when I think I'm on top and ready for the kill, units LGM away, new ones in, and it starts all over. The left went far longer than I desired, and the Centre was a bloody mess in the end.

File Attachment:

File Name: IT23-M1.vlog
File Size:4,532 KB

[img][/img]
Last edit: 10 months 3 weeks ago by Mark-McG.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #8643 by Mark-McG
Round 2   418 Ligny (16 June 1815)
Game 2
Mark McG (Prussians) 6 banners
Gileforn (French) 11 banners

Quite a different game, with the French Right being far more active, whilst the initial moves on the French left were bloodily repulsed. After some positioning, which I could see but had nothing to prepare a reaction, the French conducted TWO Forced Marches up the Right, led by the Old Guard. Needless to say they took the Church, and Ligny, and the game now revolved around possession of St. Amand. With the towns balanced 3:3, the Prussians managed to grab the 6th banner, and were set to spill the lone French LC block out of Wagnelee when Jagow failed his leader check to be the 11th banner.

All in all, a draw was the perfect outcome.

File Attachment:

File Name: r2g2.vlog
File Size:3,507 KB

[img][/img]

More
10 months 2 weeks ago - 10 months 2 weeks ago #8665 by jfardette
Round 2, Ligny, Game 1

Jim Fardette (French) - 11
Eric Yorkston (Prussian) - 3

The scenario played out with the French grinding away on the left flank, driving the Prussians back from the stream and wrecking many of their infantry. Running out of cards on the left, the action then shifted to the other sectors where the French were again able to make their way forward. Meanwhile on the left, the lone Lt Guard infantry kept healing up and moving forward picking off weakened militia units and dropping garrisons until the final score was reached.

Tough one for the Prussians. Even with 2 Bombards and a Fire & Hold, they were not strong enough to maintain their lines. They also lost a leader in this one, as Tippelskirch toppled.
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 months 2 weeks ago by jfardette. Reason: adding log file

More
10 months 1 week ago - 10 months 1 week ago #8695 by jrtracy
Round 2, Ligny, Game 1

Brad Jessup, Prussians, 6 banners
J. R. Tracy, French, 11 banners 

(Brad killed 31 steps and I killed 51 - not sure if we're tracking these in this tourney)

Brad and I enjoyed a slugfest in our first round of Ligny, with Brad as the Prussians and myself running the French.

I opened with some poor choices, sending some Lights forward on the right to their near-instantaneous deaths.  I struggled on that flank all game long – the French have a lot of power there but it is so crowded, maneuver proved very difficult.

Instead, I worked the left flank, and waited (for quite some time) for a center card to appear.  I  sent a Prussian Militia unit to the dead pile but Brad countered by killing a French Line formation, both on my left.  Apparently I failed to learn my lesson with my Voltigeurs, and sent a Light Cavalry unit to its doom.  I was hoping to kill an adventurous Prussian artillery unit but instead my leader returned to our lines alone.  

I turned my attention back to the right, hoping to make something of the clogged mass of Frenchmen, but Brad quickly gave me another bloody nose, going up three banners to one.  At this point I was finally able to make something happen in the center, sending infantry forward with the support of that magnificent artillery.  Force March allowed me to close, and Prussian casualties began to mount.

Fierce fighting around La Haye and St. Amand saw losses on both sides, but I crept into a banner lead thanks to some lucky Leader Loss die rolls.  Brad played Elan, however, and quickly evened the score at 5-5 in unit kills, but was ahead 7-5 thanks to geographic banners.  He then pressed forward, bringing up his Lancers for a possible charge against damaged French Line units.

At this point we were both all-in, but French firepower gained the upper hand.  Brad killed another unit to reach eight banners, but lost three himself in rapid succession, including another leader.  His militia Lancers fell for my tenth, and then my Old Guard moved forward.  The Grognards cleared a Prussian line unit but were beset by an immediate counterattack.  Brad killed half of the Guard but they battled back with an infantry Yahtzee, annihilating a full strength Line unit for my eleventh and final banner.

This was an absolute bloodbath.  I had good dice when I needed them, making up for throwing away two units in the early going.  Leader losses were Brad’s bane – I think he lost two in four Leader Loss checks, while I sailed through at least seven checks myself.  We had one rules issue – I misread the geographic Temporary Majority Victory Banner portion, thinking you had to have a majority of the listed locations to claim the banners.  However, Brad correctly pointed out that you must merely hold more than your opponent has in hand.  This is pretty big as it’s two banners for the Prussian and three for the French.  

Overall, a big, grueling scenario, but not without nuance.  Looking forward to the return match.

Attachments:
Last edit: 10 months 1 week ago by jrtracy.

More
10 months 1 week ago - 10 months 1 week ago #8698 by RiverWanderer
Sorry, lost the write-up after webpage hung.

Mark Benson - Prussian - 11 banners
David Horts - French -  7 banners

Thanks to David for a very enjoyable game.

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Last edit: 10 months 1 week ago by RiverWanderer. Reason: wrong image.

More
10 months 1 week ago - 10 months 1 week ago #8703 by jfardette
Ligny Game 2 between Eric Yorkston and Jim Fardette

French: player name: Eric
Allies: Player name: Jim
Winner: Jim (Prussians)
Score:11-6

Action started off on the French left, but the Prussians were able to bring forward their second line units and stabilize things after a French cavalry unit that could conceivably have netted 3 easy banners instead whiffed on their dice roll and were instead destroyed themselves.

Indeterminate fighting in the center and French right followed, with many units slowly being chewed up in combat. The French brought up the Old Guard and while their initial attack went very well, the Prussians were able to counterattack and in the end it was the French driven back across the Ligny stream.

Two questions came up during play.  Can a unit in square use a tactic card in order to retire?  I forget the name of the exact card.  Can a unit in square use a card to roll more than 1 die in combat?  We played that you could since cards generally trump the written rules, but couldn't find a definitive answer.
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 months 1 week ago by jfardette.

More
10 months 1 week ago #8709 by Burnabybob
Hi Jim, I'm not sure what you mean by "retire" in the first question. That term is only used for cavalry. But the unit has to be ordered to come out of square: "It is important to note that an infantry square is formed during the opponent’s combat phase, while an infantry unit in square may only be ordered to come out of square during the active player’s order phase."

I think this answers your second question. It says pretty clearly that infantry in square never have their battle dice increased: "While in square, the maximum number of battle dice an infantry unit may ever roll in ranged combat or in melee is 1 die. Nothing will increase the number of battle dice an infantry unit in square may roll, except
when an infantry square is ordered as part of a Combined Arms Combat. An infantry square’s battle die however, may be reduced by terrain modifiers so the infantry unit in square may not have a die to roll."

More
10 months 1 week ago #8712 by Mark-McG

Ligny Game 2 between Eric Yorkston and Jim Fardette

Two questions came up during play.  Can a unit in square use a tactic card in order to retire?  I forget the name of the exact card.  Can a unit in square use a card to roll more than 1 die in combat?  We played that you could since cards generally trump the written rules, but couldn't find a definitive answer.

Jim, the Square FAQ is here
www.commandsandcolors.net/napoleonics/th...in/faqs/squares.html

my guess is that the card name is : Leader orders a fall back.   The answer is it is not allowed
nothing will increase the number of dice a square rolls.

www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1478703/article/21190932#21190932

[img][/img]

Time to create page: 0.816 seconds