Intercontinental Tournament 2023

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #9237 by stephent
R3G2 Medelin
Thomas Spanish 1 banner
SteveT French 6 banners
This was one of those impossible games for the Spanish. The French launched rapid cavalry attacks and quickly destroyed the Spanish LC and Grenadiers in the left centre, at the cost of one French LC cut-off and eliminated (1-3). With only three cards, Spanish options were limited and a French attack on the right delivered the coup de grace defeated one each Spanish HC, line infantry and foot artillery (1-6). Thanks to Thomas for a good game and sorry for cancelling the only guerrilla action he could play!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #9238 by stephent

File Attachment:

File Name: R3G2_Medelin.vlog
File Size:1,636 KB
 [attachment=2181]

More
10 months 2 weeks ago - 10 months 2 weeks ago #9286 by Boredbeyondbelief
Round 3: Medellin

Game 1 (reported earlier)
Eric/boredbeyondbelief (Spanish) - 6
Greg/Valya (French) - 1

This was a lopsided affair totally due to dice. Greg would advance multiple troops, roll blanks with 1 flag, and my units would scurry out of range. Meanwhile, I eliminated two of his leaders. There was no grand strategy here, just me being the beneficiary of extremely good luck.

Game 2
Eic/boredbeyondbelief (French) - 6
Greg/Valya (Spanish) - 4

The French started rather incompetently, attacking on their left flank with not enough supporting cards and almost getting all their units eliminated. Only a Grande Manoevure (that survived a guerilla attack!) allowed the French to abandon that flank and retreat the limping units back and into the center. The French then thought to possibly make some progress on the right flank, but all moves were cancelled by guerilla attacks (Greg would get 4 scouts early in the game and stymied the French's ability to mount an early attack). This led to a lot of shuffling units on both sides as the Spanish slowly advanced and the French kept moving one-figure units toward the rear.

France managed to make an fore march on Turn 11, but while breaking the Spanish line, no units fell. It wasn't until Turn 12 when the first unit (a Spanish Line) was elimintated! Spain got their revenge, elminating the two French units that had broken through the line with withering comined arms attacks. But the Spanish couldn't seem to keep the momentum, and the French superior troops and numbers slowly started to deplete the Spanish. The Spanish made a cavalry charge with their fight flank to score one more block, but it was too late. The French finished off the middle of the Spanish army and pushed toward their flanks to get the final medal - forcing the Spanish army to retire from the field.

My goodness. 12 turns until the first block fell. 20 turns to play a 6 medal game. For someone used to the quickness of M44 and Ancients, Napolionics can seem like a downright slog! But Greg was a good sport - especially in the late game when it was obvious that he was being betrayed by his hand (and the lack of left flank cards).
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 months 2 weeks ago by Boredbeyondbelief.

More
10 months 2 weeks ago - 10 months 2 weeks ago #9288 by Gileforn
Round 4
Game 1

Cap (French) - 4
Gileforn (Spanish) - 6

That was a game with a lot of maneuvres. French made all to protect themselves from overthrowing to the river. Guerilla helped a lot many times. As a result Spanish troops were more lucky mostly destroyed the left French flank.

Game 2

Cap (Spanish) - 3
Gileforn (French) - 6

The other good game with special Spanish maneuvres, but French had better tactic cards, also good combination that helped to press Spanish on the left and in the center.

File Attachment:

File Name: ICR3123.vlog
File Size:2,230 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: ICR31.vlog
File Size:2,884 KB
Last edit: 10 months 2 weeks ago by Gileforn.

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #9295 by Mark-McG

what was the final score?

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
[img][/img]

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #9296 by Boredbeyondbelief
My bad. Final score added to the game report.

More
10 months 2 weeks ago - 10 months 2 weeks ago #9309 by scipio1zama
Medellin

Game 1

Mike Stanley – French – 6 banners – winner
Patrick Dowd – Allies – 3 banners

The Spanish led off with a scout card and made a LC attack on my left flank (also looking for another guerilla counter.) I squared up and he took a hit. Then I probed left, blocked his retreat, and destroyed his LC. My LC put his LN in square and I took a hit. My next two cards, a Force March, and an Attack Left Flank, were both cancelled by the guerillas. Nonetheless, my units on my left flank were steadfast and true, and I was able to whittle his hand down quickly, both by killing units and by putting others in square. At one point he had a 1-card hand (3 units killed, 2 in square.) Panic had set in. The French managed to eliminate the Spanish Right entirely. Then the Spanish got a second wind and put up a good fight, forcing the French to take a long time to run down a 6th banner.

Game 2

Mike Stanley – Allies – 6 banners – winner
Patrick Dowd – French – 4 banners

I won the second game as the Allies (Spanish) 6-4. I lost two units on my right pretty quickly (and thus two cards from my hand), but he lost his LC on that flank and in the center plus Lasalle and his LN, partly because he didn’t have the cards to press his attack against my right. I made a foolish attack on my left which cost me my HC, and I later lost a GR, but I was able to establish a pretty good line anchored on the hills. Then I picked off a couple of weakened units for my last two banners.

Patrick, a new player, nevertheless acquitted himself well and we both learned things from our games.
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 months 2 weeks ago by scipio1zama.

More
10 months 1 week ago #9329 by Craterus
Round 3  Medellin

Game 1
Allies, John Dietrich (EZ Pickins). Banners, 4
French, David Horts (Craterus). Banners, 6

Game 2
Allies, David Horts. Banners, 6
French, John Dietrich.Banners, 2

File Attachment:

File Name: Medellin1.vlog
File Size:3,227 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: medellin2.vlog
File Size:2,780 KB

More
10 months 1 week ago #9342 by Mark-McG
due date is today.. get the results in!

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
[img][/img]

More
10 months 1 week ago - 10 months 1 week ago #9346 by GomJabbar
rjvonline and I have our G2 in about 3 hours. Results will be in shortly after that.

Also, not sure why, but the G1 results in the table above for GomJabbar and rjvonline are wrong. It should be 6 for GomJabbar (Spanish) and 5 for rjvonline (French). Vlog is attached.

File Attachment:

File Name: R3G1.vlog
File Size:2,352 KB
Last edit: 10 months 1 week ago by GomJabbar.

Time to create page: 2.465 seconds