Victory Results:
 23 %
Record a victory for BOTTOM ARMY  77 %
Total plays 66 - Last reported by LtCol_Theodora_Fusilier on 2024-04-27 21:23:14

Saalfeld - 10 October 1806

Historical Background
Prince Louis Ferdinand was one of the firebrands advocating war with France. When hostilities commenced, he was placed in command of the Prussian/Saxon Advance Guard of Hohenlohe’s corps. As Napoleon’s army approached, he was ordered to march to Saalfeld on the River Saale to protect the depot of stores located in the town. His desire to fight, coupled with ignorance of French strength, prompted Ferdinand to deploy his men on the low ground west of the town, with the river about a half-mile to his rear, instead of withdrawing from Lannes’ larger force.
Lannes was not in a position to block Ferdinand’s retreat, so he welcomed the opportunity to fight that Ferdinand was giving him. Lannes could see the weakness of the Prussian position, and sent his advance guard forward to capture the weakly held villages in front of the Saalfeld, while his artillery battered the Prussian exposed positions. By early afternoon, Suchet’s arriving Division was turning the Prussian right. With his flank exposed and his withdrawal route threatened, Ferdinand shifted troops from the center toward the right, and at about the same time ordered the remaining units in the center to attack. Without proper preparation and outnumbered, the Prussian advance was repulsed and Lannes counter-attacked. Ferdinand attempted to buy time for his disintegrating command to escape by charging forward at the head of his cavalry, receiving a mortal wound in the process. His Advance Guard was destroyed as an effective formation, losing Saalfeld - 10 October 1806 almost a third of its personnel and most of its artillery. In Military terms the battle was minor, but the demoralized survivors spread doubt and fear throughout the main Prussian army, especially in the high command.
The stage is set. The battle lines are drawn and you are in command. Can you change history?

Set-Up Order

Forest 8
Hill 6
Town 5
Church 1

Battle Notes

Prussian Army
• Commander: Ferdinand
• 4 Command Cards & 3 Iron Will Counters
• Optional 4 Tactician Cards

Line Infantry Light Infantry Light Cavalry Foot Artillery Horse Artillery Leader
6 2 3 1 2 3

French Army
• Commander: Lannes
• 5 Command Cards
• Optional 5 Tactician Cards
• Move First

Line Infantry Light Infantry Light Cavalry Foot Artillery Horse Artillery Leader
8 3 3 2 1 4

Victory
7 Banners

Special Rules
• The French player gains 1 Temporary Victory Banner at the start of the turn for each hill hex of the Sandberg occupied (Temporary Victory Banner Turn Start)

LARS replied the topic:
3 years 4 months ago
Much trading of volleys in the center. Ferdinand made a valiant attack on Vedel, ultimately crushing the French right flank. The Sandberg was well defended by the Prussians, at one point nearly vacant of troops, but a timely Grand Manoeuvre allowed them to reinforce and counterattack Claparede's forces. But Lannes had a G. Manoeuver as well and ordered Reille to advance, followed by a Bayonet Charge. This sealed the French victory 8-4.
Hexagoon replied the topic:
3 years 6 months ago
Played this twice. I was Prussian first and thought all I could do was go down fighting. When I played the French I didn't draw a single centre card, and with my cavalry unable to get moving I got tied up in squares and lost command cards, and ended up with a very hard to achieve loss. There is life in this scenario, I can assure you.
macfix replied the topic:
3 years 7 months ago
Prussians won 7-4 due to cautious French player and good use of the iron will token allowing a devastating counter in the central area around Crosten.
kostas63 replied the topic:
3 years 7 months ago
Vittoria Francese 7-3. I prussiani iniziano la battaglia cercando di sloggiare i leggeri francesi che si trovano a Beulwitz mentre al contrario l'ala destra francese riceve l'ordine di rinforzare il paese di Garnsdorf e le colline adiacenti. Visto che nel centro la situazione sembra stabile Lannes da' l'ordine di Grande Manovra e avvicina le sue unita' ai piedi delle colline di Sandberg occupandole in seguito con facilita'. A questo punto le cose si mettono male per i prussiani anche se Ferdinando con i suoi cavalleggeri interviene e riesce ad ottenere qualche successo sulla sua ala sinistra. La battaglia termina con la piena occupazione del Sandberg.
proyce replied the topic:
6 years 7 months ago
Got smoked as the Prussians 7-1. The French cavalry got loose on the Prussian left flank, killing everything including a leader. Prussians never stood a chance as they had bad cards as well.
Kramaric replied the topic:
8 years 9 months ago
I lost the scenario as Prussian with 7:5 with one of my generals killed after his unit was destroyed. Prussians managed to take the lead with 3:2 with Fire and Hold card and wanted to follow up with two consecutive cavalry charges. Although some French were destroyed, French Counterattack card practically destroyed Prussian cavalry and with some more kills in the centre France won the battle.
Grondeaux replied the topic:
9 years 4 months ago
Hmmm, just played this scenario with my regular opponent. We're fairly evenly matched, based on over 20 games I've tracked. I won as the Prussians, 7:5. I don't think either one of us was blessed or cursed with good luck or good cards. I did, however, kill two French generals, and that's probably why I won. At game's end, I was very beat up, and most of the French left had yet to engage. Without the two banners from the generals, I would probably have lost as I was just about out of troops. Still, it didn't seem nearly as unbalanced to me as some of the four banner scenarios.
Hawkmoon replied the topic:
9 years 4 months ago
Played last friday : 7/5 & 7/4 for the French (1st scenario with Prussians)
Bayernkini replied the topic:
9 years 4 months ago

Really a very poor scenario

Sadly ot the only one in the first half of prussians scenarios :(
Tarheel replied the topic:
9 years 4 months ago
And i just saw a prussian victory. It took terrible french dice and great prussian ones to give victory to allies, and much of prussians in shambles even then. Really a very poor scenario that relies upon such major diaparity to pretend to be competetive.
9 years 4 months ago
Just played again. I think I played about as well as Prussian can, result 7 to 4, Prussia loses. Would take terrible French dice to lose this one...
Bayernkini replied the topic:
9 years 5 months ago
7 is right

and after first games i played myself or i watched, i don´t believe, this scenario makes more fun if you play it on both sides :unsure:
9 years 5 months ago
which is right? The information here says 5 banners.

The scenario for VASSAL I believe says 7 banners.

Last night, I was punked 7 to 2, but should we have stopped at 5? I would have been happier stopping at 5 for sure. Things get decided in this scenario fairly early on.
9 years 6 months ago
Not too much fun this one, for prussians.

Forgot i had played this before. I won as the french and lost as prussians. Probably needs to be played as both sides and total banners to have any fun with this one. Best prussia can do is just try to cause some damage before they go down.