Victory Results:
 40 %
Record a victory for BOTTOM ARMY  60 %
Total plays 73 - Last reported by LtCol_Theodora_Fusilier on 2024-05-12 22:04:49

Dennewitz - 6 September 1813

Historical Background
Oudinot had failed, but Napoleon was still obsessed with taking Berlin to knock Prussia out of the war. He chose Marshal Ney, ‘the bravest of the brave,’ to take over from Oudinot and try again.
Ney determined not to repeat Oudinot’s mistake, and concentrated his entire army to advance on one road. Still short of cavalry, Ney unexpectedly ran into the Prussians, but could not deploy his troops quickly enough to defeat the outnumbered Prussians to his front. The battle turned into a classic meeting engagement with both sides throwing in fresh troops as they arrived. The battle seesawed back and forth, until von Bülow arrived with his corps to take command. Ney, leading from the front, was not aware that the tactical situation was turning against him, and ordered Oudinot’s troops to pull back to form a reserve. The Prussians, believing the French were retreating redoubled their attack, which forced the French back. The retreat turned into a rout when Ney’s old comrade in arms, Bernadotte, threw his arriving Swedes into the disorganized French left flank. In the aftermath of the defeat, the Bavarians deserted the French, and most of the other French allied German states, especially Saxony, began to waver.
The stage is set. The battle lines are drawn and you are in command. Can you change history?

Set-Up Order

Forest 4
Hill 14
Town 3

Battle Notes

Prussian Army
• Commander: Bülow
• 4 Command Cards & 2 Iron Will Counters
• Optional 4 Tactician Cards
• Move First

Line Infantry Light Infantry Grenadier Infantry Reserve Infantry Militia Infantry Light Cavalry Heavy Cavalry Cuirassier Heavy Cavalry Light Lancer Cavalry Militia Light Lancer Cavalry Foot Artillery Horse Artillery General
5 1 1 1 3 1 1 1 1 2 3 1 5

French Army
• Commander: Ney
• 4 Command Cards
• Optional 4 Tactician Cards

Line Infantry Light Infantry Light Cavalry Heavy Cavalry Foot Artillery Horse Artillery General
8 1 2 1 2 1 3

Victory
7 Banners

Special Rules
• The Prussian player gains 1 Temporary Victory Banner at the start of the turn for each town hex a Prussian unit occupies (Temporary Victory Banner Turn Start)

• The French player gains 1 Victory Banner for each French unit that exits the battlefield from any Prussian baseline hex.

kostas63 replied the topic:
2 years 5 months ago
Vittoria Prussiana 7-4. I primi scontri si hanno sulla destra francese. Reynier avanza ma si ferma a metà strada a causa della forte resistenza prussiana. Nel centro i francesi si difendono attorno a Dennewitz ma i prussiani sono in maggior numero e riescono ad arrivare alla periferia del villaggio. La cavalleria di Defrance giunge in soccorso ma il loro comandante viene ucciso e l'unità eliminata. La battaglia si conclude quando i prussiani ricevono l'ordine di caricare con la cavalleria. Le due batterie a piedi francesi vengono spazzate via così come un'unità di cavalleria leggera che si trovava nei pressi del villaggio di Golsdorf.
LARS replied the topic:
3 years 2 months ago
Ney adds another title, Duke of Dennewitz. The French dissect Bülow’s position. The Prussians were unable to maneuver effectively and Ney had excellent cards, 7-1.
Hexagoon replied the topic:
3 years 6 months ago
Played twice, both French victories, 7-0 and 7-2. The latter game was closer than it seems, but the French were able to operate in very sector when it seemed necessary. The heavy cavalry on the French left were again effective, with the Prussians having to attack rather piecemeal. A good scenario worth a few more visits.
proyce replied the topic:
6 years 7 months ago
Played this solo today. After an exchange with loss of 1 Cav each on the Prussian left, the Prussians played LGM, putting pressure on the French right and threatening the town hex of Rorhbeck. The French, rather than move to stop the Prussians taking the town, instead played Counter Attack and moved 3 units toward the Prussian baseline. This proved to be a decisive move, and combined with a French HC attack that took down 3 units on the Prussian right, ended the game very quickly. In retrospect, the Prussians shouldn't have left those open hexes on their left, allowing the French to advance so far so quickly - but how would they know that the French had a counter-attack card so early in the game. Oh well, c'est la guerre!
Mark-McG replied the topic:
9 years 5 months ago
just lost this 6-7 as the Prussians, but could easily have gone the other way. I blew my chance!

One of the best scenarios of the Prussian expansion