MT02 Southern campaign

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #523 by Mark-McG
Replied by Mark-McG on topic MT02 Southern campaign
Round 4 - Battle of Cowpens

Mark McG (Continentals) 7 banners, 26 blocks lost
Jim (British) 5 banners, 26 banners lost

A fairly unexpected victory for me, since at one point I was down 1-5, and the 1 was for a Sharpshooter card taking Newmarsh. The Highlanders had me pressed hard, and the British Lights in the forest on the American left had me contained there. Continentals shot and shot, but couldn't hit a thing. One Rifle unit failing a 7 dice Rally check when they retired. Things looked very grim indeed.

Fortunately Jim seemed to run dry of command cards, and I managed to re-gather my depleted force, eliminate 1 Highlander and push the other away, started to get some hits on the Light Infantry and two Scout cards to give me 2 medals. Managed to eliminate a Light Infantry unit assisted by Washington's cavalry, and suddenly it was 5-5 and with a Rally card, I had a good line of infantry across the ridge.

Eschewing flanking attacks, the British came up the Centre, and took a beating, including a Regular failing a 5 dice Rally check. When the artillery failed it's morale, the Continentals claimed a hard fought victory. Close to 4 hours to finish, so probably longer than the actual battle, but gripping for every minute.

File Attachment:

File Name: R4.vlog
File Size:73 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: R4pt2.vlog
File Size:25 KB
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Mark-McG. Reason: adding logfile

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #524 by JimDauphinais
Round 2 - Camden

Mirko (Continentals) 4 banners, 35 blocks lost
Jim (British) 8 banners, 21 blocks lost

Phase 1 -- A Murderous British Volley

The British opened with a Line Volley that broke up the Continental line between the Continental Center and Left by forcing two Militia units to retreat of which one routed off of the field.

Phase 2 - A Failed British Flank Attack

In response, the Continentals Dressed Ranks on their now floating left wing of Light Infantry and Artillery only to have the British to start to close on them.

After an extended skirmish, the Continental Left succeeded in pushing back the British attack against it.

Phase 3 - Tarleton's Charge

The British then opened its ranks up in the Center to bring up Tarleton and his cavalry up signaling something was afoot there.

As part of this move, the British were able to reduce the Continental artillery unit on the Continental Center Right down to one block with ranged fire.

This put the Continentals in a difficult situation given a Cavalry Charge card might be coming from the British.

To address this, the Continentals played At the Quick Step to shift the remaining Militia line to the left (to restore contact with the Continental left wing) and pull the in danger Continental artillery unit behind the front line. The Continentals then played Call Forward Reserves to pull up a Regular to fully restore the linkage between Continental Center and Right front line.

The British were impressed with this maneuver, but not intimidated given most of the Continental Center front line still consisted of Militia.

Hence, out came the Cavalry Charge card and Tarleton and his Cavalry smashed into the Continental Center. The Continentals saved one Militia unit through a Retire and Reform Card, but two other Militia units routed off the field.

The Continentals then tried to drive back the British cavalry with some ranged fire, but it was not very effective.

As a result, the British Cavalry, reinforced by a third Cavalry unit brought up from the back with the previously played Cavalry Charge card, continued its attack by getting behind the now once again floating Continental Left Wing of Light Infantry and Artillery. The Continental Left held, but lost an Artillery unit and took heavy casualties on one of the Light Infantry units.

However, the Continentals were then able to restore their Left by cementing it between woods hexes and laying down heavy ranged fire assisted by a counterattacking Regular from the Center. Ultimately, this drove off the British Cavalry.

Phase 4 - An Overextended Continental Counterattack

The Continentals chased the retreating British Cavalry with their Light Infantry all the way back to the British Right front line ultimately leading to the loss of all three British Cavalry units. However, the British infantry on that flank then itself counterattacked assisted by a Highlander unit brought forward by Tarleton (who survived the loss of the cavalry units). Seeing the gig was up, the Continentals quickly pulled their now heavily damaged Light Infantry units back using At the Quick Step.

Phase 5 - Tarleton and the Amazing Highlanders

The entire rest of the battle was fought by the Highlander unit commanded by Tarleton assisted by a Regular Unit commanded by Cornwallis himself. These two units essentially single handily took on the remnants of the Continental Left. The Regular Unit eventually picked off with ranged fire the wounded artillery unit on the Continental Center Right. However, the Highlander was amazing, as it kept successfully charging even after being worn down to a single block ultimately leading to the Continentals losing one of the two greatly weakened Light Infantry units and a Militia unit that had been brought up to help. This ended the game.

File Attachment:

File Name: JimvsMirkoCamden.vlog
File Size:58 KB
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by JimDauphinais.

More
3 years 4 months ago #526 by gotigerssc
Replied by gotigerssc on topic MT02 Southern campaign
Round 5 - Guilford Courthouse

gotigerssc Continentals, 10 banners, 25 blocks lost
gottoman British, 5 banners, 29 banners lost

Things looked bad for the Americans in the early going as we quickly lost two militia and an artillery unit. However, I took my units on the right into the woods for cover and they held there for nearly the entire battle - the rifle unit especially wreaking havoc on anyone who advanced. The British made a strong push on their right to claim my cavalry and a regular unit. The thing that won the battle for me was keeping my militia in a supported line and never moving them out. The British tried to break it on the right but were unsuccessful. A cavalry charge from my lone remaining unit took out two depleted British units on my right and King and Country finished things off on the final turn. With a few exceptions, this was a mostly ranged combat affair. Best of luck to Greg the rest of the way!

File Attachment:

File Name: GuilfordCo...use.vlog
File Size:65 KB

More
3 years 4 months ago #527 by Gonzo
Replied by Gonzo on topic MT02 Southern campaign
Round 1
Gonzo (British) 8 banners 34 blocks
Mark McG (Continentals) 4 banners 21 blocks

Wildly varying luck in this one. French start with bayonet charge on right main entrenchments. Mixed it up with a few losses on both sides before rest of French fell back. Desultory range fire until lucky 2 flag and 2 art 4 dice roll from continental routed the central art of Britsh. British able to Steal a march to get a Reg and leader into central Brestworks. French line move up. Britsh reform and let loose a huge volley of 17 dice, with no hits or flags forced. French Quick march up into melee, but only get 3 hits on a Provincial which damged 3 French units. British attacked back with great dice, killing a Grenadier, Leader, and Marine, while French do a hit to Brit Grenadier and miss bb on crippled Highlander. French attack again, killing the crippled HI, but miss again on the crippled Provincial. Brit bb and subsequent turn killed last marine and routed reg for win. Bad turn of luck for Mark, but well played

More
3 years 3 months ago #530 by Gonzo
Round 2 Camden
Gonzo (British) 8 banners 38 blocks killed
EZPickens (Continental) 4 banners 27 blocks killed
Milita got off some good shots then tried to withdraw.  Bayonet charge from Brits on left killed a light and leader, but cost a Highlander.  British fall back.  Tremendous firefight around smallwood.  British able to hide a couple of 1 point units and eventually rout enough Milita to gain last banners.  Thanks to John for being a good sport and well played.

More
3 years 3 months ago #531 by Gonzo
British bayonet charge on Brit right

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #533 by Mark-McG
Round 5 - 010 Guilford Courthouse
Rob D (Brits) - 7 banners, 32 blocks lost
Mark McG (Cont) - 10 banners, 36 blocks lost

The 3 banners for the Hill won this for the Continentals, for what was otherwise a tight match, though not emaculate on either side

The opening cannonade was quite tame, but the Brits followed up with 3 flags on a militia that sent it off. The response was a hit and 2 flags on a Regular, who failed morale, the leader (Webster) also went home, but nothing else swept away.

The Brits then crept on slowly into the teeth of the Continental line, taking a slow whittling whilst the militia withdrew before them. A Regular and Light failed morale. Eventually the Highlanders came on in Braveheart style, which reaped a large benefit when Lee was swept away with his militia, taking a cavalry unit as well. Fortunately the Highlanders also routed, leaving the unit loss score at 5-5. The Brits pushed on, taking a Rifle and artillery unit, but the Continental luck had changed and a Line volley eliminated 2 units, moving the kills to 7-7, and the 3 hill banners made 10-7.

File Attachment:

File Name: R5.vlog
File Size:70 KB
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Mark-McG. Reason: adding logfile

More
3 years 3 months ago #567 by Gonzo
Round 5 Guilford Courthouse
Gonzo (British) 10 banners 22 blocks lost
Mirkobrunner (Continentals) 8 banners 47 blocks lost

Continental cannonade very effective (4 of 6 hits) but did not retreat fast enough and lost art and militia to Highland charge and range fire.  Continentals then charged their Regs forward and with 3 line commands/vollys inflicted several points of damage.  Skirmishing on Briotish right in/near woods and fences go back and forth with multiple reforms and rallys.  Continental regs move forward but decimated by Line Volley.  British left steal a march to close on Continental right of Milita and Lights.  British now up 8-4 when a random range fire hits full strength Highlandr and Leader on British right with 3 flags.  They miss their morale roll, taking the leader and another unit and leader off the field for 4 banners.  11 dice no flags for the British.  British left bayonet charge with full strenght Grenadiers, Light, and Guard roll 10 dice no hits, and all flags sucessfully rally for Continentals.  Very tight now at 8-8.  British 3 exposed units take multiple range fire losses but press forward and eventually rout a couple of Militia off the board.  This games seems prone to turn on a dime at any time.  Thanks to Mirko for tension filled game.

More
3 years 2 months ago #570 by Mark-McG
this tournament seems to be having a siesta!
ADmittedly the deadline is nowhere near, but some more matches played sooner would be good!

More
3 years 2 months ago #573 by toganalper
Replied by toganalper on topic MT02 Southern campaign
We started this tournament with a good pace. I believe to put a very long time allowance, makes people forget the tournament and loose interest. This ruleset is really fun, so I am sure we will finish all the matches, even if it takes some time.

Time to create page: 1.363 seconds