Borodino - 5 September 1812
The Russian force at Shevardino was under the command of General Prince Andrey Gorchakov and consisted of 8000 infantry, 4000 cavalry and 194 guns. He had deployed his Jagers in the woods and villages while the Russian Grenadiers and Cuirassiers were held in reserve. The French advance guard under Compans consisted of his 5th Division of Davout’s I Army Corps.
The initial French attack was against Doronino and the nearby woods. Russian cavalry attacked the advancing infantry and were counterattacked by French cavalry, which forced the Russian cavalry back. The French advance continued and pushed to the foot of the Redoubt, while the Poles were pressing hard against the Russian left. The Redoubt was charged and the guns were forced to retire. The Russian Grenadiers were ordered to advance to take back the Redoubt and the field works changed hands a number of times. Friant’s redoubtable French infantry had advanced during this fighting and were threatening to turn the Russian right. A desperate cavalry charge momentarily stopped Friant’s advance. Night was approaching when Kuruzov gave the order for Gorchakov to abandon the Redoubt and fall back.
The stage is set. The battle lines are drawn and you are in command. Can you change history?
• Commander: Gorchakov
• 5 Command Cards
• 4 Tactician Cards
• Commander: Compans
• 6 Command Cards
• 4 Tactician Cards
• Move First
• The French gain one Victory Banner for each town hex the Russians do not occupy at the start of the French turn (Temporary Victory Banner Turn Start)
• The Russians gain one Victory Banner at the start of the turn, when a Russian unit occupies the Shevardino Redoubt (Temporary Victory Banner Turn Start)
• The French gain two Victory Banners at the start of the turn, when a French unit occupies the Shevardino Redoubt (Temporary Victory Banner Turn Start)
• The French gain one Victory Banner for each French unit that exits the battlefield from any Russian baseline hex.
• Pre-Battle Mother Russia Roll rule is in effect. Saber and cavalry rolls have no effect.