Victory Results:
 32 %
Record a victory for BOTTOM ARMY  68 %
Total plays 109 - Last reported by Jamon79 on 2023-12-07 03:13:24

Borodino - 5 September 1812
(Shevardino Redoubt)

Historical Background
The Russian force at Shevardino was under the command of General Prince Andrey Gorchakov and consisted of 8000 infantry, 4000 cavalry and 194 guns. He had deployed his Jagers in the woods and villages while the Russian Grenadiers and Cuirassiers were held in reserve. The French advance guard under Compans consisted of his 5th Division of Davout’s I Army Corps.
The initial French attack was against Doronino and the nearby woods. Russian cavalry attacked the advancing infantry and were counterattacked by French cavalry, which forced the Russian cavalry back. The French advance continued and pushed to the foot of the Redoubt, while the Poles were pressing hard against the Russian left. The Redoubt was charged and the guns were forced to retire. The Russian Grenadiers were ordered to advance to take back the Redoubt and the field works changed hands a number of times. Friant’s redoubtable French infantry had advanced during this fighting and were threatening to turn the Russian right. A desperate cavalry charge momentarily stopped Friant’s advance. Night was approaching when Kuruzov gave the order for Gorchakov to abandon the Redoubt and fall back.
The stage is set. The battle lines are drawn and you are in command. Can you change history?

Set-Up Order

Forest 7
Hill 2
HillEntrenchments4 1
Town 3

Battle Notes

Russian Army
• Commander: Gorchakov
• 5 Command Cards
• 4 Tactician Cards

Line Infantry Light Infantry Grenadier Infantry Heavy Cavalry Cuirassier Heavy Cavalry Militia Cossack Cavalry Foot Artillery Horse Artillery Leader
4 5 2 2 1 1 2 1 2

French Army
• Commander: Compans
• 6 Command Cards
• 4 Tactician Cards
• Move First

Line Infantry Light Infantry Light Cavalry Heavy Cavalry Foot Artillery Horse Artillery Leader
9 5 3 1 1 1 3

Victory
10 Banners

Special Rules
• The French gain one Victory Banner for each town hex the Russians do not occupy at the start of the French turn (Temporary Victory Banner Turn Start)

• The Russians gain one Victory Banner at the start of the turn, when a Russian unit occupies the Shevardino Redoubt (Temporary Victory Banner Turn Start)

• The French gain two Victory Banners at the start of the turn, when a French unit occupies the Shevardino Redoubt (Temporary Victory Banner Turn Start)

• The French gain one Victory Banner for each French unit that exits the battlefield from any Russian baseline hex.

• Pre-Battle Mother Russia Roll rule is in effect. Saber and cavalry rolls have no effect.

Pevans replied the topic:
1 year 2 weeks ago
Time for my re-match with Evert and his turn to play the Russians. His Mother Russia roll let him add a block to a Line infantry in the centre and one on the left, plus the Light infantry in the town front and centre.

While the Russians occupied the vacant part of the town, the advancing French drove the Russian Light infantry out of the nearest part of the town and eliminated the Light infantry in the woods alongside. {That takes the score to 2:1, including one for the French from the one vacant town hex and one for the Russians for the redoubt.}

On the left, the French infantry attacked the town, eliminating a Light infantry to occupy one part of Shevardino. {A "Force March" lets the French left surge forward. That's 3:1 and 4:1 if the Russians don't re-take the town hex.}

A Russian Line infantry moved forward to re-occupy the woods in the centre, only to be killed off by the French infantry. A French Line occupied another part of the town, too. {5:1}

The Russians re-grouped in the centre, forcing the French back out of the town for the Horse artillery to set up in. {4:1} On the right, the French artillery completed its destruction of a Russian Line unit. {5:1}

Then the French artillery on the centre eliminated the Russian Horse guns in the town. {"Bombard" is so useful - 6:1, and 7:1 when another vacant town hex kicks in.}

The attrition of the Russian musketry began to have an effect as they removed Light infantry on the right and in the centre. {7:3}

The French right launched an assault, starting to clear the Russian Light infantry out of the woods. {8:3}

Then the Russian cavalry piled in again, on both left and right, removing the French artillery on the right and putting infantry into square on both flanks. {A "Cavalry Charge" from Evert makes it 8:4.}

A cavalry battle developed on the right, the Russian Heavies falling to the French Lights. {9:4 - just one more needed for a French victory.}

Russian infantry moved up on the left to re-occupy part of the town. {8:4} But the second Light infantry on the right fell to the French attack, Gen Emmanuel fleeing the battlefield. {9:4}

The Russian Cuirassiers demolished French Light cavalry on the right and Grenadiers polished off the French square on the left. {9:6}

Fighting back against the Grenadiers, the French infantry came off worse, leaving weakened units to be finished off as more Russian Grenadiers arrived. {Evert got more hits on his battle backs than I did on my attacks and it's 9:8!}

The French continued to press on the left, only to lose another Line infantry, Gen Friant escaping, {9:9} and then another. {9:10 and it's all over.}

Wow! At 9:4, I thought it was in the bag, but the dice deserted me. I couldn't hit a thing and Evert was suddenly hitting everything. A rare Russian victory gave Evert wins from both sides and an aggregate score of 14:20. Wow again!
Pevans replied the topic:
1 year 2 weeks ago
Evert and I have arrived at the Battle of Borodino. I play the Russians first and started the scenario with the Mother Russia roll. This let me add an extra block to the two Line infantry in the centre and one on the right, the Light infantry on the left and the artillery in the redoubt. Looking good, I thought.

The French advanced determinedly on the left, their musket fire driving the Russians out of the town and eliminating a Light infantry. {That makes the score 1:4, the French now on three for the empty town hexes and the Russians one for the redoubt.}

A foray by French cavalry on the left put a Light infantry into square while the Russians re-occupied a bit of the town. {1:3}

The French continued to push forward on both flanks, removing the Russian square. {1:4}

Then they surged on the right, knocking out two more Light infantry to leave the Russians with nothing on that flank. {Evert used a "Bayonet Charge" to take the score to 1:6.}

Russian gunfire battered the French on the right, pushing them back to leave one unsupported Line infantry that the Russian Heavy cavalry finished off. However, an equally isolated Russian Light infantry in the centre fell to the French infantry. {2:7}

Continued fire from the Russians finished off another Line infantry and began to push the French out of the town. {3:7}

French Light cavalry hurtled into the middle of Russian troops in the centre and centre-right, one Line infantry forming square while those under Prince Gorchakov took a battering. General Emmanuel's Heavy cavalry took out the French horsemen centre-right. {4:7}

Emmanuel's men carried on, eliminating what was left of a French Light infantry on the right and then thumping another Light cavalry - though taking casualties in the process. While Russian Line infantry on the left finished off the French Light infantry hiding in the woods. {6:7}

On the left, French muskets drove the Russians out of the last part of the town they held. Then, supported by artillery, the French Light cavalry on the right rode over what was left of Emmanuel's Heavies, the General falling with his men. {A banner for the empty town hex takes the score to 6:10 and a win for Evert's French.}

That was quite a fight, with Evert making the early running. My come-back was short-lived, though, as I just couldn't regain the town hexes that were giving the French banners. Interestingly, the redoubt was never threatened. It's tough winkling infantry out of towns, so Evert's early success in pushing the Russians out served him very well.
Mark-McG replied the topic:
2 years 6 months ago
The French gain one Victory Banner for each French unit that exits the battlefield from any Russian baseline hex

I take this to mean as per the normal Breakthrough Banner rules

Breakthrough Objective (new)
When a player’s Victory Banner objective requires his forces to achieve a Breakthrough, each unit that exits the battlefield from an opponent’s baseline hex, gains that player one Permanent Victory Banner. To exit, the unit must be ordered and move off the battlefield. A unit must start its turn on an opponent’s baseline hex to exit off the battlefield and thereby gain a Permanent Victory Banner.

Page link: www.commandsandcolors.net/napoleonics/th...nts-expansion-6.html

In discussions around other C&C games, the movement need not be directly off the map. As long as the unit was ordered on the opponent's baseline requirement is met, the unit can move and battle and still exit in that turn, which typically would apply to cavalry only.
2 years 6 months ago

Russians have one VB for Shevardino, but French should also have one for not occupied by Russians town hex. One town hex in Center should also be counted for it? Right or not?
at the start of the French turn 1.. yes
Michał-Wasil replied the topic:
2 years 6 months ago
Russians have one VB for Shevardino, but French should also have one for not occupied by Russians town hex. One town hex in Center should also be counted for it? Right or not?
LARS replied the topic:
3 years 1 month ago
Block losses 30 French vs 27 Russian. French win scenario 10-4. 5 French units with 1 block remaining on the board.
White Knight replied the topic:
6 years 2 months ago
Very fun map. The fighting starts immediately and never really lets up. French won but it was a very close thing.
sharpe1812 replied the topic:
6 years 8 months ago
Hi,

With regards to Michalxo's concerns regarding this scenario, one change is probably a necessity: Change the "town" condition to read, either player may score 1 temporary majority banner for holding these 3 town hexes.

I am also experimenting with some Russian changes. These change the Ru Ln to 4-block units with -1 fire power either standing or moving. For a complete discussion of these changes read:
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1763664/my-take-fixing-weak-russians
6 years 8 months ago
Hi Michalxo,

Thanks for sharing.

My first impression of the scenario is that the well positioned French forces liberally sprinkled with "skirmishers" and cavalry would have a cake walk.

The Russians can be a tough nut to crack. To maximize Russian victory points they have to advance and concentrate their right flank force;otherwise, they are subject to defeat in detail from Friant. Also, a French breakthrough here would allow them to get easy banners from exiting units. In the middle, the Russians can use their artillery combined with their infantry to hold the French at bay. The other key is for them to get their reserve cavalry to support their left flank. A well-timed, well-supported assault here can let them run the French right.

That said, this strategy is easier said then done against a careful French opponent who keeps his wings and advances well supported.
6 years 8 months ago
--
Michalxo replied the topic:
9 years 10 months ago
We have played 2 games of Shevardino redoubt and both games ended in easy French win 10-3 -4.
Both times attack from flank completely wiped out russians.

What is the tactics here for Russians? To at least score 7VP.
Winning seems impossible...
10 years 10 months ago
I'm reading the cavalry clashed on Sept 5th, and the Shevardino Redoubt was taken on the 6th.
Bayernkini replied the topic:
10 years 10 months ago
The French captured the Shevardino Redoubt already on September, 5th.
10 years 10 months ago
this one probably is 5 September 1812
Bayernkini replied the topic:
11 years 3 days ago
More informations here

napoleonistyka.atspace.com/Borodino_battle.htm

for those, who want know more about the battle or want use the maps
to setup a "Epic" Borodino or a "Double-Epic" Borodino Scenario :)