Bounce Flag and Retreat

More
5 years 9 months ago #5324 by RiverWanderer
A Cavalry unit attacks an opposing Infantry unit which duly rolls a Flag.

The rule states on bounce flags states "it will force the cavalry unit to bounce away from the square."

The Cavalry unit is positioned such that a one hex retreat could leave the Cavalry unit adjacent to the Infantry.

There is no other explanation in the rule book or elsewhere that I can find and I have always played it as a normal retreat, except that the flag can not be ignored and generates a one-hex retreat.

Is there a clarification somewhere that I have missed ?

What is the general view on interpreting "bounce away" ?

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #5325 by Mark-McG
Replied by Mark-McG on topic Bounce Flag and Retreat
The cavalry can retreat adjacent to the square, but can not attack the square in response.
The infantry in square cannot leave the square whilst the cavalry is adjacent

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
[img][/img]
The following user(s) said Thank You: RiverWanderer

More
5 years 9 months ago #5326 by RiverWanderer
Thanks, that’s how I play it.

More
5 years 9 months ago #5327 by Superman
Replied by Superman on topic Bounce Flag and Retreat
I would just add that on the rare occasion in which the bounced cavalry has no path of retreat, it gets to battle back with one die after removing one of its blocks.

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #5328 by Bayernkini
Replied by Bayernkini on topic Bounce Flag and Retreat

There is no other explanation in the rule book or elsewhere that I can find and I have always played it as a normal retreat, except that the flag can not be ignored and generates a one-hex retreat.

I really dont see any unclear ruling in the rulebook.

1) Page 18, left column, top
"If the cavalry unit cannot retreat, one block is lost for each retreat hex the cavalry unit cannot complete"

So it states clear, that a cavalry must retreat but loose 1block, if it cannot full retreat. And if only 1hex is available to retreat (in your example the still adjacent hex of the target infantry), it retreats those one hex and loose blocks for the uncomplete hexes.

2) The the question is, can the cavalry now attack the infantry, because it is still adjacent, we read a few sentences later.
Same side, same column.
"If the cavalry unit is not eliminated or forced to retreat from its hex when being attacked by the infantry in square, the cavalry
unit may melee against the infantry square with a maximum of 1 battle die."

So the answer here is also clear. The cavalry was forced from the original hex, although it was only 1hex, but this is enough, to prevent a battle against the Infantry in square now.

So i dont see any unclarity and all are written/explained in the rules.
Or do i missing now something else ? ;)

My dice are the hell!
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Bayernkini.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hawkmoon

Time to create page: 1.006 seconds