MM15 Epic Smolensk (17 August 1812)
The Battle of Smolensk was the first major battle of the French invasion of Russia. It took place on 16–18 August 1812 and involved 45,000–50,000 men and 84 guns of the Grande Armée under Emperor Napoleon I against 30,000–35,000 Russian troops and 108 guns under General Barclay de Tolly. Napoleon attacked Smolensk, occupied by Prince Pyotr Bagration's Second Army and captured two of the suburbs. During the night the Russians evacuated the burning city.
The French artillery bombardment burned the city to the ground. Of 2,250 buildings, 84% were destroyed with only 350 surviving intact. Of the city's 15,000 inhabitants, about 1,000 were left at the end of the battle inside the smoking ruins. With over 20,000 casualties, it was one of the bloodiest battles of the invasion.
The stage is set. The battle lines are drawn and you are in command. Can you change history?
• Commander: Dokhtorov
• 5 Command Cards
• (Optional 4 Tactician Cards)
• Commander: Napoleon
• 6 Command Cards
• (Optional 5 Tactician Cards)
• Move First
16 Victory Banners
• Fieldworks are impassable hexside. Units or leaders may not move across a Fieldworks hexside.
• The Dneiper River is unpassable except to cavalry
• The Ravine is fordable for Infantry only, but only adjacent units can attack units in a Ravine hex. Cavalry and Artillery cannot enter Ravines. Units in Ravines do not block LOS.
• The Russians gain one Victory Banner at the start of the turn, when a Russian unit occupies the Royal Bastion.
• The French gain two Victory Banners at the start of the turn, when a French unit occupies the Royal Bastion.
• The French gain three Victory Banners at the start of the turn, when a French unit occupies the Bridge.
• Pre-Battle Mother Russia Roll rule is in effect, using 10 dice. Saber rolls have no effect.