106 Medellín (28 March 1809)

More
10 months 6 days ago #9895 by Riclev
A couple of games last night with varying results. In the first, the French advanced on the left to try to make some room in front of the river. After a fierce skirmish both sides lost three banners so I was faced with the reality of only three command cards. It's tough! Nevertheless, a general advance on the other flank followed by a cavalry charge eliminated the French heavy cavalry and horse artillery for a 6-4 victory. I didn't have to use the one guerrilla counter I had.

So to the return, as the French player I moved the left flank units towards the centre. A Spanish cavalry charge destroyed the horse artillery, but at a cost of both light cavalry units. La Grande Manoeuvre enabled me to bridge the gap between the right flank and the closed in left flank for an impressive-looking battle line. An infantry advance on the Spanish right and centre looked ominous, but he failed to make use of the three guerrilla counters he had collected and they were driven off without loss. The coup de grace came on the Spanish left. Another Spanish cavalry charge removed the heavy cavalry units on both sides, including General Latour-Maubourg (ouch!), but the issue was never really in doubt and the French won 6-3.

This is an interesting scenario, with challenges for both sides. For the French, how to save the left flank, how to bring up the reserves over the river, how to win an artillery duel when you are outgunned and how to neutralise the guerrilla markers. For the Spanish, how to use your cavalry and artillery superiority effectively, how to maximise the guerrilla tokens and how to play with just three cards.

Regarding the debate below about the number of squares the Spanish may form, it didn't really apply in either of our games. However, I would say the wording suggests two units in total throughout the battle, although presumably either of these units may go in and out of square at will. On the other hand, with only three cards, the base rules say you must retain at least one card when forming squares, so perhaps the designer's intention is to mean no more than two at any one time. It's poorly worded, so I guess it's up to the players.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #10414 by miketodd
M's first go as the Spanish ends poorly. Successful retreat and reformation smashed by repeated charges of French heavy cavalry. French take it 6-3.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.587 seconds