Naval Elements in a Campaign.

More
3 months 1 week ago #10702 by Cromwell
I recently acquired the naval game “Master and Commander - Black Seas” by Warlord Games.

Although no expert on Napoleonic naval warfare I enjoyed the game. I am now drawing up a campaign which will combine the two games. My thoughts centre around landing troops to seize a large island with the invader having to gain superiority at sea to land troops. Then a land campaign to secure the territory with each battle separated by a naval engagement. Losing the naval engagements reduces that side combat capability for the next battledue to supply and ammunition shortages. After the final land battle a further naval wargame to extract the losing army.

I would be interested in any suggestions any one could make.

“Rules and regulations are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools”
Group Captain Sir Douglas Bader

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 1 week ago #10704 by Mark-McG
In terms of historical precedence to guide you, two campaigns come to mind;French expedition to Ireland (1796) en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_expedition_to_Ireland_(1796)

this is probably a more salient reminder of the difficulties the weather can render to naval operations.

Suffren's campaign in the Indian Ocean
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Andr%C3%A9_de_Suffren

More notable as a series of naval battles, but the main intent was to support French backed Hyder Ali against the English interests in India. To an extent the land and naval operations were independent, but results in one area had ramifications in the other.

The English landing on Walchern island in 1809 is another miserable example
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walcheren_Campaign

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
[img][/img]

More
3 months 1 week ago #10706 by Cromwell
Thanks, I will delve into those.
Think the Campaign may have to be ahistorical

“Rules and regulations are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools”
Group Captain Sir Douglas Bader

Time to create page: 0.875 seconds