Cavalry Charge card and Horse Artillery

• proyce
  • Topic Author
  • Long time war gamer. Started with all the old Avalon Hill games back in the 60's.
More
6 years 6 months ago #4967 by proyce
Does Horse Artillery get the additional die when a Cavalry Charge card is played. I have been playing that only the cavalry units get the additional die, as the card says horse artillery move and battle normally.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #4968 by Bayernkini

as the card says horse artillery move and battle normally.

Do you really need any clarification that "normally" means normally here?

My dice are the hell!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hawkmoon

• proyce
  • Topic Author
  • Long time war gamer. Started with all the old Avalon Hill games back in the 60's.
More
6 years 6 months ago #4969 by proyce
Thanks for your reply. Actually, the reason I asked is that when going through the most recent Vassal log of a game played in our 2017 Open tournament, the following happened:
Prussian played a Cavalry Charge card. One of the units ordered was a HA. The HA was designated to fire at a French LN in a town hex (Golsdorf) at a range of 3 hexes. Prussian said 1 die, French agreed. Since HA only has 1 die at range of 3, and unit was in a town hex, should not be able to fire. The only reason I could think of why he would be allowed that die roll was if he was using an extra die from the Cavalry Charge card. I suppose they could have both missed the fact that the defending unit was in a town hex?

More
6 years 6 months ago #4970 by Bayernkini
I dont know this special vassal logfile, but if i observe live games or some logfiles, i noticed general always mistakes,
so i think also here, both players didn´t know the rules 100%.

CCN (especially in combination with tactician cards) is not as simple as the other CC games. Also me (and i think i know the rules good)
needs a lot of games and a regular playing, to remember all rules combination (including the FAQ).

So my experience is, if you have only casual players, and also players which play more/other CC games, the mistakes happens during game increase (also because of "mixing" the rules of other CC games).

I compare it always with a decathlon athlete, which is good in all 10 sports,
and a special "single sports" athlete. He will always win against the decathlon athlete in the special sports of the single athlete ;)

My dice are the hell!

• proyce
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 6 months ago #4971 by proyce
Thanks Michael. Yes, mistakes can easily be made. Especially on Vassal, which is more abstract than having the board right in front of you physically. It feels different playing on Vassal.
It occurs to me that another possible reason for such a mistake is that it is sometimes not as easy to see whether a unit is FA or HA on Vassal (e.g., when you are playing on a small laptop). You can get used to the range and rolls for FA and not think about it much when you see that red stripe on the unit and just assume it is FA.
I just wanted to make sure I had the rule right, even though it seemed obvious to me. The players had a question later in the game about whether the Cavalry Leader card gave the extra die on breakthrough bonus combat, or only on the initial melee roll. They played it that the extra die did not apply, but it didn't matter anyway (6 dice, 7 dice, what's the difference), as the defending unit was destroyed anyway. The Cavalry Leader card doesn't specifically address breakthrough bonus combat, but I would play it that the extra die applies throughout the turn.

Time to create page: 0.699 seconds