Victory Results:
 60 %
Record a victory for BOTTOM ARMY  40 %
Total plays 15 - Last reported by GG on 2024-05-05 01:17:24

Battle of Messkirch
5 May 1800

Historical Background
On 25 April 1800 the French Armée d'Allemagne, under Jean Victor Marie Moreau, crossed the Rhine River at Kehl and Schaffhausen. The 1st Demi-Brigade, of the Corps led by Laurent de Gouvion-Saint-Cyr, conquered St. Georgen and entered the Black Forest at Freiburg im Breisgau.
After conquering Stuhlingen, 25 km south of Donaueschingen, the unit took part in the Battle of Stockach and Engen on 3 May, after which the Austrian retreated to Messkirch where they enjoyed a more favourable defensive position.
The French repeatedly assaulted the town on 4 and 5 May always in vain. The 1st Demi-Brigade, despite the Austrian superiority there, was able to conquer Krumbach and the heights surrounding it, which commanded Messkirch. Therefore the Austrian moved back to Sigmaringen, followed by the French.
The Battle of Biberach ensued on 9 May.
The stage is set. The battle lines are drawn and you are in command. Can you change history?

Set-Up Order

Forest 14
Hill 4
River 2
RiverBridge 1
Town 8

Battle Notes

Austrian Army
• Commander: Paul Kray von Krajowa
• 5 Command Cards
• (Optional 3 Tactician Cards)

Line Infantry Light Infantry Grenzer Infantry Grenadier Infantry Light Cavalry Heavy Cavalry Cuirassier Cavalry Foot Artillery Leader   Line Infantry Light Cavalry
7 1 1 2 2 1 2 2 4   2 1

French Army
• Commander: Jean Moreau
• 6 Command Cards
• (Optional 4 Tactician Cards)
• Move First

Line Infantry Light Infantry Light Cavalry Cuirassier Cavalry Heavy Cavalry Foot Artillery Leader
7 5 2 1 1 2 4

Victory
7 Banners

Special Rules

• Vandamme is a Leader of Honor

• River Ablach is impassable and can be crossed only on bridge.

• Each town hex of Messkirch is a Temporary Victory Banner Objective Hex (Turn Start) for the French (Temporary Victory Banner Turn Start)

Bavarian Forces:
The Bavarian units use the general russian rules/charts, except the LN have 4 blocks.
So the bavarian LN may ignore 1 flag.
Use any different color blocks of other nations, to represent the Bavarian Forces.

miketodd replied the topic:
5 months 4 weeks ago
French win 7-6. Closely fought, with most of the action on the Austrian right; less going on on Austrian left, which French eventually take and hold after Austrian blunders. French successfully protect degraded units.
Bayernkini replied the topic:
7 years 4 months ago
Main source was
www.napoleon-online.de/html/messkirch1800.html

I can´t remember, if i had more other website resources.
Sometimes i use for my setups any napoleonic tabletop scenarios on the web ;)
Old_Hussar replied the topic:
7 years 4 months ago
Its great to see this battle covered in a game. I am researching this battle for a computer game and would love to discuss your order of battle information. I love the Command and Colors games and thanks for keeping this era alive!
Bayernkini replied the topic:
8 years 2 weeks ago
Small update:
• Vandamme is a Leader of Honor