Victory Results:
 52 %
Record a victory for BOTTOM ARMY  48 %
Total plays 25 - Last reported by ozzie on 2023-10-26 11:47:51

Historical Background

On March 14, 1781, while encamped at Deep River, Cornwallis was informed that Greene was encamped at Guilford Court House. Cornwallis decided to give battle, although he had only 1,900 men at his disposal. Cornwallis found the Continental positions in three lines near the courthouse. The first line, blocking the road and deployed behind a rail fence, was primarily untested militia. Greene had instructed the militia officers to have their men fire two volleys and fall back. Following a short barrage, Cornwallis sent his troops forward. The British pressed the first and second Continental lines back with bayonet charges and superior discipline and at ninety minutes into the battle, British troops reached Greene’s third line. Keeping the pressure up, the British Guards attacked and the Continental flank broke and fled.
William Washington’s Dragoons charged into the enemy’s ranks, attempting to stop the advance, but were thrown back. With the British nearing his third line, Greene ordered a withdrawal, giving the British a tactical victory, but enabling Greene’s army to remain mostly intact. 
The stage is set. The battle lines are drawn and you are in command. The rest is history?

Battle Notes

Continental Army

• Commander: Greene
• 5 Command Cards & 3 Combat Cards

British Army

• Commander: Cornwallis
• 5 Command Cards & 3 Combat Cards
• Move First

Victory

10 Victory Banners

Special Rules

• Opening Cannonade rules are in effect. Continental militia units will participate in the Opening Cannonade and may fire with 1 die and then choose to retire prior to the start of the battle.
• The British player gains 1 Temporary Victory Banner at the start of his turn for each hill hex occupied by a British unit. Place a British Victory Banner on the hex at the start of the turn when occupied.
• The Continental player gains 3 Temporary Victory Banner at the start of his turn if the British do not occupy any hill hexes. Continental player starts with 3 Victory Banners, place 3 Continental Victory Banners near the hill hexes.

ozzie replied the topic:
5 months 2 days ago
Ummm... outshoot them and hope to survive and pull back next turn. There's no free ride in the Militia!
Charge-Bayonet! replied the topic:
5 months 3 weeks ago
This is GREAT Battle!
Success in this one really depends on your skill as a commander and luck of the draw and die.
For two evenly match players you will enjoy this one.
ozzie replied the topic:
11 months 3 weeks ago
A stonking 10-1 British win with me leading the Brits this time. The Americans fired in the opening cannonade and inflicted zero damage and pulled back. I forced back the American left, with firepower from the Highlanders and Hessians destroying a couple of units. The Americans pulled back to secure this flank and support the centre. I then unleashed my all-out left flank attack with the Lights, Grenadiers and Guards with generals and a supporting Regular Unit. With a good stock of Left Flank and Line Command cards and highly useful Combat cards, the British assault drove all before it, eventually taking 2 hill hexes and only losing 2 blocks of Grenadiers. To my opponent's chagrin, I rallied both blocks back with a Combat card and proceeded to mash the line of units on the hills for only the loss of the supporting Regular unit. A great British victory (from my side of the table!).
ozzie replied the topic:
11 months 3 weeks ago
As the Americans, I decided to hold the fenceline and not retire. Routed the Hessians, repulsed the Highlanders and inflicted some shooting casualties, routing the British Light Infantry. Looking good with an 8-4 American advantage, including the 3 Victory Tokens for the hills! Unfortunately, the Grenadiers, Guards and the Highlanders all came storming through, aided by Generals who bayoneted their way to hill line and took the win 10-6, when the Amerians lost the hills and the British took a couple of hill hexes. Still, a close run thing.
mirkobruner replied the topic:
3 years 3 months ago
Militia can retreat 2 hexes after cannonading, but actually for the center units (there are 2 militia and 1 artillery), two of them (including the artillery) cannot go anywhere. There aren't simply enough free hexes.What to do? Suggestions?
rjvonline replied the topic:
3 years 4 months ago
First game, playing the Continentals. I chose to keep the militia in the center where they were. By the end of the game, I still had 7 militia units (lost 1). My center held. My right under Washington took casualties. My right did ok. I was up by several flags, but a late surge by the Brits netted 3-4 units from failed rally rolls (even one unit at FS). However, I closed the deal with my artillery firing at his grenadiers in the center, who failed their rally roll. 10-6 final score.
NightOwl3 replied the topic:
3 years 8 months ago
This was my first game of Guildford Courthouse. I had not played in some time and was rusty. The British got some good hits in early against the militia, but three times a one block militia unit held on its rally check. The Americans kept pulling back towards their base line. Once I realized that the British would not be able to take the hills with the fresh American regulars, I shifted the British line to its right flank to hit the weaker militia and spent rifle/regulars there. It was still very close at 9-9 and could have gone either way. However, a British unity with a leader was able to take out a spent artty and militia unit to win the day. A great scenario. I need to learn how to play the British better.
Mark-McG replied the topic:
5 years 3 weeks ago
This c
scenario seems one of the best of the Tricorne base set. Each side has all 3 arms, and the American quantity is a decent match for the British quality. Recommended.