American War of Independence

More
10 years 8 months ago #1169 by Mark-McG
Obviously the scale of AWI battles is relatively small compared to Napoleonics, but that isn't such an impediment in the C&C system. Units can be Regiments or Divisions, as long as the scale is consistent within the battle. I'm tinkering with some AWI Scenarios, and one of the main issues has been finding a substitute nationality for the Americans.

After several goes, the Nationality that seems to fit the Americans best is the Spanish.
Mostly everything just clicks into place, the generally better defensive performance, the Guerrilla token system, the swiftness of retreat, a suitable amount of militia. Americans used Foot Artillery, and appear to have made very limited use of Cavalry. The exception is the Rifle Light units, and I'm using Grenadiers (GR) units could be used as 4 strength Rifle Light units, which similar characteristics to the British Rifle Light unit.

British units simply switch over, being very similar to Napoleonic English, and the Hessans and Loyalists can use the Portuguese blocks, with some slight changes. British dragoons appear to be simply Light Cavalry.

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
[img][/img]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #1170 by Freeloading-Phill
Syncronicity.
Just yesterday I bookmarked the two following blog posts about a CCN AWI adaption. They may be of some use.

napoleonictherapy.blogspot.com.au/2013/0...or-awi-test-run.html

napoleonictherapy.blogspot.com.au/2013/0...r-awi-test-game.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayernkini, Mark-McG, Grambo589, Maxoupicsou

More
10 years 8 months ago #1171 by Bayernkini
Brilliant, as i always said, the C&C system can be used from Ancient to the current time battles :)

My dice are the hell!

More
10 years 8 months ago #1188 by Grambo589

Mark McG wrote: Obviously the scale of AWI battles is relatively small compared to Napoleonics, but that isn't such an impediment in the C&C system. Units can be Regiments or Divisions, as long as the scale is consistent within the battle. I'm tinkering with some AWI Scenarios, and one of the main issues has been finding a substitute nationality for the Americans.

After several goes, the Nationality that seems to fit the Americans best is the Spanish.
Mostly everything just clicks into place, the generally better defensive performance, the Guerrilla token system, the swiftness of retreat, a suitable amount of militia. Americans used Foot Artillery, and appear to have made very limited use of Cavalry. The exception is the Rifle Light units, and I'm using Grenadiers (GR) units could be used as 4 strength Rifle Light units, which similar characteristics to the British Rifle Light unit.

British units simply switch over, being very similar to Napoleonic English, and the Hessans and Loyalists can use the Portuguese blocks, with some slight changes. British dragoons appear to be simply Light Cavalry.

Interesting idea to base the AWI American troop types on the Spanish and Portuguese types, wish I had thought of that! The links above are to my blog where I have been experimenting with AWI C&C for some time now. I eventually produced a set of charts for the individual British/American and Hessian troops, but I’m going to look at them again and compare with your suggestions, overall though I think I now have the balance about right. I might see if I can post them here for any ideas and comments.
I just find the C&C system so enjoyable to play that I doubt I could go back to more conventional wargame rules. I’m about done with the figure painting for this project now so I’m thinking about what to do next ..... I’m tempted by either Ancients or possibly Memoir 44 even, again with miniatures replacing each block.

More
10 years 8 months ago #1189 by Grambo589
May I add that I have updated my blog with more thoughts on C&CN for AWI and a couple of terrain ideas. I have seen a couple of fascinating posts on remote gaming recently and I'm convinced that C&C would be ideal, I would enjoy being able to play C&C AWI against an American opponent for example! I hope to able to do this very soon.
Attachments:

More
10 years 8 months ago #1190 by Bayernkini
Nice miniatures, i assume, they are 15mm scale?

And don´t forget to share your AWI scenarios here, with setup and scenario notes :)

My dice are the hell!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grambo589

More
10 years 8 months ago #1191 by Grambo589

Bayernkini wrote: Nice miniatures, i assume, they are 15mm scale?

And don´t forget to share your AWI scenarios here, with setup and scenario notes :)

Thank you very much :-) I'm about ready for some battles now.

I have seen a few C&C miniatures gamers have added roads, purely for effect of course, so I tried a few to see how they would look.The figures are 15mm Peter Pig figures, Hessians in this case.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Achtung-Panzer

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #1234 by Grambo589
My C&C AWI project has progressed from the images shown above, in fact it is now basically finished and I'm enjoying playing it. I decided to make myself a complete new board, 55mm hexes, 13 x 9 and I'm really pleased with it.

I'm now thinking of painting up a couple of Napoleonic armies for this next to replace the blocks.

Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Grambo589.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayernkini, Mark-McG

More
10 years 6 months ago #1237 by Hawkmoon
A great thank for sharing this beautiful battlefield !

More
10 years 6 months ago #1239 by Bayernkini
Hawkmoon is right,
a great battlefield and great miniatures :)

My dice are the hell!

Time to create page: 1.202 seconds