015 Waterloo (18 June 1815)

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #1027 by Bayernkini

Use of M'44 Night Chart to simulate the Prussian advance with an Immediate Allied Victory when 'full daylight' is reached

You mean certainly the opposite direction, starting with full daylight and British win if full night/darkness had fallen ;)

I had already same thoughts too, and latest with the next (prussian/austrian) extension, i will also add again all existing fanscenarios with additonal markers, like a "nightchart" to the Vassal module.

So you can test it then also with the Vassal module :)

My dice are the hell!
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Bayernkini.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Achtung-Panzer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #1030 by Achtung-Panzer

Achtung Panzer wrote:

1. Use of M'44 Night Chart to simulate the Prussian advance with an Immediate Allied Victory when 'full daylight' is reached
  2. Allow Allied defenders to ignore 1 Flag at Hougomont and La Haye Saint
  3. Remove the French Victory Banner from the village on their right flank
  4. Replace one of the French LC with a Lancer unit
I know these changes favour the Allies and greatly change the official scenario, but based on the balance of play this might be a good thing.

I'll post the first results.

Early findings after play-testing:
  • Perhaps 3 dice would be better?
  • This certainly held up the French attack and also buys time for the GG to occupy Hougomont, making it almost impregnable. More historical and definately more difficult for the French. The attacks tend to be short and bloody.
  • Encourages the French right to move towards the centre whilst the Allies sit and watch. I think this actually detracts from the sceanrio as a game.
  • Lancers are better against HC than LC, otherwise not really necessary to make the change other than a chance to use Lancers.

More
11 years 1 month ago #1031 by Achtung-Panzer
This was an interesting experiment.
The test game largely followed events in the real battle. The French attacked Hougomont until they were spent and the fighting there ended. The "ignore flag" rule bought time for the Allies to reinforce (the French rolled 1 flag in each of their first three attacks) and occupying with the Grenadier Guards made Hougomont impregnable. The British HC charged up to and on to the southern ridge, even taking out an Artillery unit, but were then pushed back by Cavalry and the Old Guard with heavy losses. The French ignored Papalotte and concentrated on taking La Haye Saint which they did and by surviving a counter-attack won the game.

So, my thoughts are:

* Keep the "ignore 1 flag" rule for the Allied defenders of Hougomont and La Haye Saint.
* Drop the Prussian arrival die roll idea. In my game they would have arrived with the score at 6:5 to the Allies, ending the game too early. If players wish to use this, perhaps roll 3 die.
* Replace LC with Lancers to taste. Lancers are better than LC against HC.
* If you keep the Victory banner for Papalotte you have a better 'historical' feel to the game, but the scenario as a game is weakened.

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #1197 by Bayernkini

Allow Allied defenders to ignore 1 Flag at Hougomont and La Haye Saint

The new Austrian expansion have some usefull terrain updates, which allows also to update this standard Waterloo scenario, let you surprise :)

And all CCN players, don´t stop, trying scenarios with updated houserules, and share your thoughts here with all other players,
you never know, which houserule become official in future :whistle:

My dice are the hell!
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Bayernkini.

More
10 years 6 months ago #1198 by Achtung-Panzer
If my suggestion of recognising the Hougomont and La Haye Saint as fortified farmhouses / strongpoints then I am delighted to give something back to this wonderful game and community!

More
10 years 6 months ago #1199 by Bayernkini
Ok, the answer is online now ;)

A Walled Farm terrain tile hex effect has been updated to allow a unit on a Walled Farm hex to ignore one flag. It is suggested that players replace Hougomont and La Haye Sainte town tiles with Walled Farm tiles and use the updated effect.

My dice are the hell!

More
10 years 3 months ago #1309 by Nimitstexan
Does the "Impetuous Cavalry" special rule in this scenario apply to all cavalry on the British side (i.e. the brown blocks) or only to the British (red) units.

More
10 years 3 months ago #1310 by Bayernkini
The original scenario rules apply, so only the british (red) CAV must follow this rule :)

My dice are the hell!

More
9 years 1 month ago #2540 by Pevans
There's a lengthy account of playing this scenario on my website (as part of my review of the game): Waterloo game report

Pevans

More
8 years 11 months ago #2667 by Combi
Replied by Combi on topic 015 Waterloo (18 June 1815)
Hello
Today
French victory (mdg)
8 ( with Papelotte ) - 5

Time to create page: 1.102 seconds