221 The Fog of Huertgenwald

More
3 years 6 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #325 by alecrespi
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by alecrespi.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #1025 by alecrespi
I tried this scenario yesterday with a friend of mine and during the game some doubts arose mainly related to the fact that the Allies could easily take 2 of the 3 objectives and that there were specific command points in opposite areas of the map.
I did a quick search online and luckily found an old FFG forum (dated 2010) where the author reported an error swapping deployment hex colors.

Both on the website and inside the Vassal module you will find the correct version.

Here are some of the author's comments regarding this scenario:
Since the germans are not allowed to fire at the pow, they cannot "move" into the house (via an assault, for example) . the german 89th infantry division is allowed to place two units in the hill hexes in the middle of the boards containing the entrenchments. they should deploy the machine gun unit there to prevent the americans from charging right towards to house. the germans can also decoy this machine gun unit using the concealed squad marker. so its up to german player when he gives his troops the fire at will-order when americans troops approach :-). the second unit from the 89th german infantry divison could secure the german objective hex or be placed in the other entrechment on the hill defending the pow at all costs.
This scenario works best for the germans when they place a concealed machine gun unit in the hill waiting for the american assault, it treally depends upon "where" you place your troops at the start of the game.
There are many little decisions to make in this small scenario. like i said before, this one was playtested approx 10-12 times.
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by alecrespi.

More
1 year 1 month ago #1063 by pino
Replied by pino on topic 221 The Fog of Huertgenwald
Played this scenario with my friend Ale after the corrections found on the old FFG forum.
The result was an incredible victory for the German player (3 victory points owned at the end of round 6).
The American player fought really hard 'till the end of round 6, but the two minefields and the well protected Panzer IV in the forest near the pond on board 6A were too difficult to pass or destroy mainly due to the lack of firepower and mobility.
I think that the substitution of the MG unit with a 2 regular + 2 elite (or a 4 regular unit with SMG spec) infantry unit could increase mobility and firepower enough to guarantee a better balanced scenario.

More
1 year 1 month ago #1064 by alecrespi
Let's start talking about the German tank (as it is one of the Victory objectives).
Panzer IV has Armor Value = 4.
If it hides in the forest it gets +2 defence dice.
With the "Heavy Fog" card it also gain 1 more defence die (for being in OP fire and so no fatigued).
This sums up to a total of 7 defence dice!
I would say "unaffordable" for the US Halftrack and quite hard even for the Antitank infantry (because they have to come colse with a fire & move action).

If we add to this that the Germans can safely reach the building to the west, surrounded by the forest, in op fire waiting for the enemies, away from the enemy's mortar threat, with 2 squads containing at least 4 elite infantry, well I would say that the second objective also becomes really hard (even facing the US flamethrower, because of the german machine gun in Op fire that sees nearly all the map).

The Americans just have to run straight to the bridge and hope they don't blow up (which happened in the last game). :-)

Don't forget that in this scenario the Germans can easily leave the initiative to the Americans, focusing on the moral deck which contains cards such as "take cover", "go to ground" and "all or nothing"...

Final result: 0 objectives captured by the Americans.

Time to create page: 3.876 seconds