MM01 Germantown (4 October 1777)
After defeating the Continental Army at the Battle of Brandywine on September 11 and the Massacre at Paoli on September 20, Howe outmaneuvered Washington and seized Philadelphia, which was the capital of the rebellious colonies. Howe then split his army, keeping the bulk of it near Germantown while occupying Philadelphia with over 3,000 troops. Learning of the division of the British Army, Washington was determined to attack it. The American plan called for four columns to converge on the British position at Germantown.
A heavy morning fog caused much confusion. After a sharp fight, Sullivan's right-center column routed the British light infantry opposed to him. During the fighting the 40th Foot occupied the substantial stone house of Chief Justice Chew and use it as a strong point. The American advance halted while furious attacks were launched against the house aided by artillery.
Greene’s division launched a savage attack on the British line as planned and broke through, capturing a number of British troops.
Sullivan’s brigade was attacked on both flanks, by Grant with the 5th and 55th Foot on his left and by Brigadier Grey on his right. Sullivan’s brigade broke. The British then turned on Greene’s isolated division capturing Colonel Matthews and his 9th Virginia Regiment.
The stage is set. The battle lines are drawn and you are in command. The rest is history?
• Commander: Washington
• 5 Command Card & 6 Combat Cards
• Move First
• Commander: Howe
• 2* Command Cards (* increases to 5) & 4 Combat Cards
5 Victory Banners
• *The British are surprised, British start with 2 Command cards. End of turn 1, 2 and 3 draw an extra Command cards. Start of turn 4 British will hold 5 cards.
• Wissahickon Creek is not fordable except at the ford.
• Frankford Creek is fordable.
• No Ranged fire beyond 3 range due to the Fog.
• No Opening carronade
• Chew Mansion is worth a Temporary Victory Banner to a side that occupies it at the start of their turn.
• Unit on Chew Mansion hex ignores 1 flag, except from artillery combat.
• No unit or leader within 2 hexes of Greene (including Greene) may be ordered until the British player has 5 Command Cards in hand.
• Once only, at the start of a British turn, the British player may discard any Combat card and battle with one American unit in the American Left flank against another American unit in the Centre section.