A special personnel figure is added to a unit and will allow the unit to perform one or more special actions. Each army, in the core game, has three special personnel bomber figures.
- A unit with a special personnel figure will be labelled on a scenario map.
- When a special personnel figure is deployed in a scenario, the special personnel figure is added to a unit when setting up the battle giving the unit one additional figure.
- A special personnel figure’s pose, and its square base, will identify a special personnel figure in the battlefield unit.
- A special personnel figure must move along with its unit.
- The figure is not transferable to any other unit.
- It does not count as a figure that can be removed to satisfy losses.
- When the last figure in the unit is eliminated, the special personnel figure is removed from the battlefield along with the last figure of the unit.
Special Personnel Bomber Special Actions
- A bomber figure may only be added to an infantry unit.
- An infantry unit with a bomber figure, when battling at range of 2 hexes, will also score a hit for each Deadly Die side rolled.
- An infantry unit with a bomber figure, when battling in close combat will roll 1 additional die.
Just a sneak preview into the future. There are a number of special personnel figures planned for THE GREAT WAR, with their release the special personnel rules are going to be modified slightly
"When a unit with a special personnel figure loses one or more figures in combat, there is a chance that the special personnel figure may also be removed. Your opponent will roll one die to see if the special personnel figure is removed. If the deadly die side symbol is rolled, the special personnel figure is also lost and removed from the unit. All other symbols rolled on this check are ignored. When the special personnel figure is lost, the unit no longer will receive the special action of the special personnel figure."
You may want to start playing with this rule update today, but it won't become official until the release of the expansions with special personnel figures.