259 - Battle of Malmaison (Guillain Farm) - 23 October 1917
The French overall plan of attack for the battle, although fought over some of the same area as the Nivelle Offensive, this time called for limited and more reasonable objectives. The 140th Regiment was assigned to attack St. Guillain wood and farm. Their advance, however, came to a dead stop by machine gun fire from German bunkers positioned along the German front trench line. French tanks were called forward and quickly knocked out the machine gun positions. The advance then continued and the wood, farm and both Giraffe and Lizard trenches were occupied before a noon rainstorm.
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.
Victory Medals: 8
- 1 Medal for each unit eliminated.
- The French forces gain 1 Temporary Victory Medal at the start of their turn, when one or more units occupy any German trench hex. Place a French Victory Medal with the unit on the trench hex when occupied.
- The French forces gain 1 Permanent Victory Medal at the start of their turn for each bunker occupied. Place a French Victory Medal on the bunker when occupied.
- The French forces gain 1 Permanent Victory Medal at the start of their turn when the Guillain farm (building hex) is occupied. Place a French Victory Medal on the farm hex to indicate it was captured.
- The French forces gain 1 Permanent Victory Medal for each soldier unit, and 2 Medals for each tank, that succeeds in breaking through and exiting the battlefield from the German baseline.
- The French forces are racing against time. The German player, when playing a "Recon" command card, may take a Victory Medal and draw only one command card, instead of drawing two command cards.
- French player does the No-Man’s-Land shelling.