251 - Verdun (Fleury) - 23 June 1916
Having taken Vaux, the Germans had only one more French defensive line to breakthrough. However, the German army had already started to feel the effects of the Allied offensive in the Somme, as artillery and men were being transferred to this new front. Still, on 23 June the Bavarian Guards stormed into Fleury and the French responded and rushed forward reserves to meet the attack. A French strongpoint just to west of Fleury was able to enfilade the German advance, and this along with the French artillery managed to slow the German attack. Although the French line was stretched thin, the French managed to hold and the initial German assault was stopped.
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.
Victory Medals: 7
- 1 Medal for each unit eliminated.
- The 3 Building hexes of Fleury form a Start Turn Temporary Majority Medal Objective worth 1 Medal for the side that occupies the majority of building hexes. The French start with 1 Medal. Place a Victory Medal with the French side face up near the village to indicate it is controlled.
- Each of Fort Souville’s bunker hexes are a Start Turn Permanent Medal Objective for the German forces. Place a Victory Medal with the German side face up on the bunker hex to indicate when it is controlled.
- The German forces are racing against time. The French player, when playing a “Recon” command card, may take a Victory Medal and draw only one command card, instead of drawing two command cards.
- German player does the No-Man’s-Land shelling roll.