018 - Somme (Montauban 18th Division) - 1 July 1916
The combined French and British preliminary bombardment in the Montauban sector, unlike other sectors along the Somme front, had been highly effective. On the left of the 30th Division, the 18th Division had tunneled to within yards of the German front line, when a series of mines blew, creating a large crater at Casino Point. The British mortars, that had been brought forward, then opened up and the first German trench was taken rather quickly. However, as the British infantry began to move forward toward the second line of enemy trenches and the Pommiers Redoubt, the fighting was fierce. The Germans had taken up a strong defensive position and it was late in the day that the Germans were forced to retire.
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.
Victory Medals: 7
- 1 Medal for each unit eliminated.
- The British forces gain 1 Temporary Victory Medal at the start of their turn, when one or more units occupy any German trench hex in the front line, and for the second line, provided the first trench is also occupied. Place a Victory Medal, with the British side faceup, on the trench to indicate it is controlled.
- The British forces gain 1 Permanent Victory Medal for each unit that succeeds in breaking through and exits the battlefield from the German baseline.
- The British forces are racing against time. The German player may take a Victory Medal, instead of taking two command cards, when playing a “Recon” command card.
- British player does the No-Man’s-Land shelling roll. For this scenario, the No-Man’s-Land shelling rules are modified and a shell crater is also placed on unoccupied trench hexes.