016 - Vimy Ridge (Bois-en-Hache) - 12 April 1917
The Battle of Vimy Ridge was fought at the northernmost end of the Arras Offensive. An almost forgotten part of the battle was the Canadian attack against the Bois-en-Hache salient on the north side of the Souchez River. Their objective was to secure the German trenches at Bois-en-Hache, to prevent the Germans from outflanking the Canadian advance against the “The Pimple” to the south.
At 5:00 am, the 73rd Brigade moved forward slowly toward the woods. As the Canadians advanced, German mortar fire and the 5th Guard Grenadier Bombers put up strong resistance. Using the wooded terrain to their advantage, the Canadian forces achieved a foot-hold in the German front trench line. A weak German counter attack was repulsed and the sector was secured.
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.
Victory Medals: 6
- 1 Medal for each unit eliminated.
- The Canadian forces gain 1 Temporary Victory Medal at the start of their turn, when one or more units occupy any German trench hex in the front line, and for the second line, provided the first trench is also occupied.
Place a Victory Medal, with the British side faceup, on the trench to indicate it is controlled.
- The Canadian forces gain 1 Permanent Victory Medal for each unit that succeeds in breaking through and exits the battlefield from the German baseline.
- The Canadian forces are racing against time. The German player may take a Victory Medal, instead of taking two command cards, when playing a “Recon”command card.
- Canadian player does the No-Man’s-Land shelling roll.
During the game German only had 1 recon card so the "Race against Time" feature played on Canadians side.
Moreover German player had most of the cards on his right side. This allowed him to deploy mortars in a very good defensive position nut leaved 2 bomber infantry on the left side nearly alone.
With a good initial "No man's land" roll Canadians managed to advance on their right side, killing 1 bomber (and let the other one flee under flag results) and acquiring 1 temporary banner for taking the front line.
After that it only became a question of time before Canadians could set the things up to run and win the game with 3 breaking through units.
Intense scenario at last.