The Battle of Vimy Ridge was fought at the northernmost end of the Arras Offensive. Elements of the 4th Canadian Division, on the very northern flank, faced a number of logistic difficulties, which delayed the initial assault on “The Pimple” until 12 April. This was a lucky break for the German forces, for the delay allowed the 4th Guards Infantry Division to relieve the 16th Bavarian Infantry Division, which had received heavy casualties by the Canadian preliminary artillery bombardment. The Guards managed to drive back the initial Canadian assault around 4:00 am, but the second attack at 5:00 am met with better success. The 10th Canadian Brigade with significant amount of artillery support and assistance from the 24th British Division from the north, allowed the Canadian troops to break into the German positions and capture the entire Pimple by 6:00 pm.
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.
Victory Medals: 7
- 1 Medal for each unit eliminated.
- The Canadian forces gain 1 Temporary Victory Medal at the start of their turn, when one or more units occupy any German trench hex in the front line.
Place a Victory Medal, with the British side faceup, on the trench to indicate it is controlled.
- The Canadian forces gain 1 Permanent Victory Medal at the start of their turn, when one or more units occupy any of the three hill hexes of “The Pimple”.
- The Canadian forces gain 1 Temporary Victory Medal at the start of their turn, for each town hex of Givenchy-en-Gohelle occupied. Place a Victory Medal, with the British side faceup, on the town hex to indicate it is controlled.
- The Canadian forces are racing against time. The German player may take a Victory Medal, instead of taking two command cards, when playing a “Recon” command card.
- Canadian player does the No-Man’s-Land shelling roll.
- Reserve Artillery Observation Advantage is with the side that has the majority of units occupying “The Pimple”. The side with the Observation Advantage first targeting die does not cost an HQ. However, the maximum number of targeting dice rolled still remains the same.