In hindsight, Mametz Wood could probably have been taken on July 1st, but the 7th Division operational orders did not specify such a forward advance. Regrettably, it was not until the 7th of July, that two British Divisions began a pincer attack on the Wood. The 17th (Northern) Division attacked from the west and the 38th (Welsh) Division from the east. By the time of the attack, however, the German Prussian Guards had reinforced the Wood, stretched wire and expanded the trench system. The British attack was met by withering machine gun fire and would peter out before making any headway into the Wood. Three days later, the two Divisions again would be ordered to take the Wood.
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.
Victory Medals: 7
- 1 Medal for each unit eliminated.
- The British forces gain 1 Permanent Victory Medal for each unit that succeeds in breaking through and exits the battlefield from the German baseline.
- The British forces are racing against time. The German player may take a Victory Medal, instead of taking two command cards, when playing a “Recon” command card.
- There is no No-Man’s-Land shelling roll in this scenario.
- During set up, but before command cards are received, the British player will first place 1 Bomber figure with any British infantry unit and the German player will follow and place 3 Bomber figures with German infantry units.