011 - Somme (Mametz) - 1 July 1916
On 1st July 1916, the 7th Division was preparing to capture the small village of Mametz, using a large assault force of 5 battalions. From left to right, these were the 2nd Border Regiment, 9th Devonshire Regiment, 2nd Gordon Highlanders, 1st South Staffordshire Regiment and the 22nd Manchester Regiment. Mametz, however, like so many villages at the Somme, had been turned into a fortress. Also, in front of it, lay the main German front line, with a secondary system of trenches immediately surrounding the village. By early afternoon, however, the Germans had been pushed back from their front line and fighting was taking place around the village. British Artillery renewed its efforts against the village and shortly after, Mametz had fallen. The Division ended the day by consolidating its position in and around the village.
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.
Victory Medals: 6
- 1 Medal for each unit eliminated.
- The British forces gain 1 Permanent Victory Medal for each unit that succeeds in breaking through and exits the battlefield from the German baseline.
- The British forces gain 2 Temporary Victory Medals at the start of their turn, for each building hex occupied.
- The British forces are racing against time. The German player may take a Victory Medal, instead of taking two command cards, when playing a “Recon” command card.
- British player does the No-Man’s-Land shelling roll.
- The buildings in Mametz are fortified. A unit on a fortified building hex will ignore 2 soldier symbols and 2 flags.