As the Nivelle Offensive drew to a close, the French command focused on the taking of limited objectives. On 5 May, the windmill at Laffaux, being used by the German artillery spotter, became the objective. The 4th, 9th and 11th Cuirassiers, who lost their mounts the year before, were to make the assault. These cavalry units, now acting as infantry units, were supported by tanks.
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.
Victory Medals: 8
- 1 Medal for each unit eliminated.
- The French forces gain 1 Temporary Victory Medal at the start of their turn when one or more units occupy any German trench hex in the front line, and 1 Temporary Victory Medal for the second line, provided the first trench is also occupied, and 1 Temporary Victory Medal for the third line, provided the first and second trenches are also occupied. Place a French Victory Medal on the trench lines to indicate when occupied.
- The French forces gain 1 Permanent Victory Medal at the start of their turn when the windmill (building hex) is occupied. Place a French Victory Medal on the windmill hex to indicate it was captured.
- The French forces are racing against time. The German player, when playing a “Recon” command card, may take a Victory Medal and draw only one command card, instead of drawing two command cards.
- French player does the No-Man’s-Land shelling.
- Historically the French tanks deployed in the offensive were Schneider tanks. However, if you do not own three Schneider tank models, remove anyone of the tank models. Then replace one of the two remaining tanks with a Saint Chamond tank model and also select and deploy one additional French special personnel figure before the battle.