257 - Nivelle Offensive (Berry-au-Bac) - 16 April 1917
North of Berry-au-Bac, the French tanks succeeded in crossing the first two German trench lines. Advancing on the third line, a direct hit on the group leader’s tank “Dare-devil” did not prevent the remaining Schneiders from pushing onward through a narrow valley toward the third line of German trenches. Now in plain sight of German batteries on the surrounding hills, the tanks waited for the French infantry. The French infantry, weakened from the attacks on the first set of trenches, were unable to quickly follow up. In the early evening, however, fresh infantry units finally arrived and, together with the tanks, conquered the third German trench, marking this as the high tide of French progress during the entire operation.
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.
Victory Medals: 7
- 1 Medal for each unit eliminated.
- The French forces gain 1 Temporary Victory Medal at the start of their turn for each French unit that occupies a German trench hex in the German third line. Place a Victory Medal with the French unit. The medal is retained as long as the unit is on a German trench hex in the third line.
- The side with the majority of units in the second German trench line gains 1 Temporary Victory Medal.
- The French forces are racing against time. The German player, when playing a “Recon” command card, may take a Victory Medal and draw only one command card, instead of drawing two command cards.
- French player does the No-Man’s-Land shelling.
- Historically the French tanks deployed in the offensive were Schneider tanks. However, if you do not own three Schneider tank models, remove any one of the tank models. Then replace one of the two remaining tanks with a Saint Chamond tank model and also select and deploy one additional French special personnel figure before the battle.