The combined French and British preliminary bombardment in the Montauban sector, unlike other sectors along the Somme front, had been highly effective. The 30th Division with the French XX Corps on their right, around 7:30am, advanced toward the German front trench line, through gaping holes in the enemy wire created by the artillery shelling. Once the first trench line was secured, the British troops again moved forward quickly under the cover of the relentless barrage from friendly artillery. About an hour later, they were preparing to attack the village.
The stage is set, the battle lines are drawn, and you are in command. The rest is history.
Victory Medals: 7
- 1 Medal for each unit eliminated.
- The British forces gain 1 Temporary Victory Medal at the start of their turn, when one or more units occupy any German trench hex in the front line, and for the second line, provided the first trench is also occupied. Place a Victory Medal, with the British side faceup, on the trench hex to indicate it is controlled.
- The British forces gain 1 Temporary Victory Medal at the start of their turn, for each town hex of Momtauban and the Brickworks occupied. Place a Victory Medal, with the British side faceup, on the building hex to indicate it is controlled.
- The British forces are racing against time. The German player may take a Victory Medal, instead of taking two command cards, when playing a “Recon” command card.
- British player does the No-Man’s-Land shelling roll. For this scenario, the No-Man’s-Land shelling rules are modified and a shell crater is also placed on unoccupied trench hexes.