Great War Tournament 7

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #1223 by Mark-McG
Replied by Mark-McG on topic Great War Tournament 7
gdnuke, could you add an email address to your profile please?

In your profile settings, if you could change the Forum Settings for Hide email to "Show only for registered users" .

That way players can contact you about matches by email.

"Feed the troops on victory"- Gen. Sir John Monash

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #1224 by gdnuke
Replied by gdnuke on topic Great War Tournament 7
Should be done.

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #1225 by Mark-McG
Replied by Mark-McG on topic Great War Tournament 7
hmm.. not showing for me, but my user ID is a little messed up

"Feed the troops on victory"- Gen. Sir John Monash

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #1226 by gdnuke
I put it in as my website and now it shows in the profile. Sorry for any confusion.

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #1227 by rjvonline
Replied by rjvonline on topic Great War Tournament 7
Round 5 - Renaud (Allies) 6 VPs, 11 blocks lost vs Mark (Germans) 3 VPs, 31 blocks lost

The Allies' first play was the most important play. Infantry Assault on the left combined with Short Supply targeting the German MG effectively neutralized that flank for the Germans. Eventually, both German infantry and the MG got killed by a combination of infantry fire and assault (one German unit lost 2 blocks due to being unable to retreat), artillery (on the MG) and good progress by one of the French tanks (benefitting from Engineer to de-bog more easily) against the MG and another infantry unit (IIRC). The other French tank bogged down early and failed many de-bog rolls. When it succeeded late ion the game, it bogged promptly again. On the right, the French flamer unit made progress forward, got 1 hit on the MG in the bunker, but then got eliminated. A French infantry unit replaced it to keep the German left occupied and was reduced to 1 before the first French tank having swung around the woods in the center started attacking from the rear. However, it is another successful artillery strike that won the last medal for the Allies against the German mortar. I think Mark was quite handicapped by his Command cards (his Combat cards were generally good) and lack of Burst against my entrenched infantry or confirmed busts against my tanks.

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #1228 by rjvonline
Forgot to to mention that Mark scored 1 VP on a Recon card but I also had 3 go to my end, reducing his chances of getting more. His 3rd VP was the at-start location VP which he never lost.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #1232 by gdnuke
Round 4 - George Curtiss (French) 7VPs, 18 blocks lost vs Mark McG (Germans) 4VPs, 29 blocks lost

Mark's Germans started fast with an assault group of infantry units with an officer, lmg, and bomber following a captured British tank into the French trenches at the French left-center boundary. The tank destroyed a couple units, first the French MG, and then running the French mortar off the board.

As the German infantry followed they were hit by a First Strike that kept them from entering the French trenches in strength. A counterattack by an FT-17 and a couple French infantry units was able to seal the breach and the catch the German infantry and a Mortar unit in no-man's-land and stop them. A desperate German attack on the French right flank was stopped by the other FT-17 and a French Marksman unit that gained the final banner.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #1233 by gdnuke
When I try to edit the previous post and attach the logfile of the game I get an error message saying there is no user 1232, which I only see as the number of that post, not a user. I haven't been able to get past that page to actually edit the post and attach the logfile. Newbie to this, so if anyone can help, I'd appreciate it!

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #1234 by rjvonline
Round 1

Renaud (Allies) 6 VPs, 7 blocks lost

vs

John (Germans) 2 VPs, 21 blocks lost

The Allies decided to rely mostly on their tanks. First move was a Probe in the center, combining a tank and an infantry. The tank achieved nothing and the infantry got reduced to 1 block, but moved back and survived. 2 box barrages on the German left also achieved little. The Germans essentially decided to play defensively with one of their tanks even retiring to their trenches. Eventually the Allies made good progress on the left with 1 tank and a bomber unit (2 infantry kills) and on their rights (1` tank kill, 1 infantry kill, 1 VP for trenches occupied) despite the Germans playing Ambush, Strike First, and 3 Butts & Bayonets. Unfortunately for them, of the many hits they scored against the tanks, only 3 were confirmed (1 was restored), resulting in their sole tank kill (and 2 VPs).

Thanks for John for a pleasant game as always.

More
9 months 1 week ago #1235 by gdnuke
Gonzo (German) 6VPs gained and 19 figs lost
vs
George Curtiss (Allies) 2 VPs gained and 7 figs lost

Exciting game. Allies fortified center trench line with Engineer early as Germans moved their stealthy tanks close. The British took a hit to their male tank from artillery and moved it left to try to help work the flanks. Germans focused on using tanks (one with an engineer on the crew) and infantry to target British tanks, while British focused on trying to kill infantry units and get into German trenches. Two very different strategies! In the end, the British male tank was knocked out and two female tanks, one bogged in a German trench and one bogged in the open, were knocked out in close combat. One of them went down on a single initial hit but two for two confirmed hits (due to the bog). Score one win for the “focus on killing tanks” strategy! Thanks to Gonzo for a good game!

Time to create page: 0.948 seconds