The Great War Mini Tournament 5 - French

More
4 years 1 month ago #935 by Mark-McG
The Great War Mini Tournament #5 - French Army

The Great War Mini Tournament 5 - French

"Feed the troops on victory"- Gen. Sir John Monash

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #947 by mk20336
Hi,
just a question regarding Special Personnel - do we use "suggested historical deployment" or we are free to choose whatever we like? (second option seems faster and more fun :) )

More
4 years 1 month ago #948 by Mark-McG
Looking over the Historical deployment chart, there seems to be no exclusions and few limits for the Germans in terms of Special Personnel

The French exclusions are Bombers, Flamethrowers and MG Heavy Wpn.

These are given as "broad and general guidelines" in the rules. The one I think is historically valid is precluding the French use of Flamethrowers, since I can't see they used them at all in Verdun. So as a compromise, no restrictions EXCEPT the French cannot chose a Flame thrower.

More
4 years 1 month ago #949 by gotigerssc
244 - Verdun (Fort Douamont)

mk20336 (German) - 4 medals, 24 figures lost

gotigerssc (French) - 6 medals, 12 figures lost

Germans started with a push on my left flank but were repulsed thanks to a well timed Replacements card that brought two units back to full strength. They then proceeded to assault the fort on my right flank. However, a Rush and Rotation card brought reinforcements from my left to assist in the defense.

Although the fort was partially captured, the French were able to prevent a full takeover and only lost two of the five hexes. Another turn would have lost the third but the unit with the officer was able to finish off two weakened German units for the win. One of my medals was from a Recon card. My first Vassal tournament game with the Great War (played Memoir quite a bit with Vassal and elsewhere) and was really lucky to have the right cards and rolls at just the right times. Big thanks to Michal for being patient and helping me along

File Attachment:

File Name: FortD-MT05.vlog
File Size:165 KB
!
Attachments:

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #950 by Mark-McG
Scen 243 - Verdun (Samogneux) - 24 February 1916

gotigerssc (German) - 6 medals, 30 figures lost
Mark McG (French) - 7 medals, 30 figures lost

French squeezed out a ill deserved win on the basis of some lucky dice in the end game. A desperate fight for the village throughout the game, the French pushing back the first thrust, but Germans stealing in on the 2nd attack.
Doesn't get tighter than this.

File Attachment:

File Name: 243VsJustin.vlog
File Size:189 KB

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Mark-McG.

More
4 years 1 month ago #951 by Viridovilas
As far as it regards the Special Personnel, I would rather go with the historical limitations. Even because two players that have already fought a battle has behaved in this way... (in any case it's fair if we adopt all the same rule, in order to keep things equal for all)

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #952 by Mark-McG
Scen 246 - Verdun (Le Mort Homme) - 13-20 March 1916

Mark McG (German) 6 medals, 19 figures lost
gotigerssc (French) 5 medal, 24 figures lost

Germans were pushing the French around pretty well in this one with some good dice, but ran out of useful cards. Was looking like a 6-2 walkover, but the French struck back and Germans were struggling for a win at the end. Good German dice at the beginning probably determined this one, but the German cards were very ordinary (like 4 Probes), so swings and roundabouts.

Another close game..

File Attachment:

File Name: 246VsJustin.vlog
File Size:153 KB

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Mark-McG. Reason: adding logfile

More
4 years 1 month ago #953 by Mark-McG
I should mention that Gabriele has withdrawn from the tournament, but on consideration, it seemed better to me to continue along the Round Robin path than try and reset the tournament.

That means there is a vacant spot is anyone knows someone interested!

More
4 years 1 month ago #954 by Viridovilas
Scen 242 - Verdun (Beaumont) - 22 February 1916

EzPickins (French) - 3 medals, 22 figures lost
Viridovilas (German) - 6 medals, 24 figures lost

Both players drew weird hands of cards. The German had only section cards, with the exception of one Replacements, one Direct from HQ and one Artillery Bombard. Such combination greatly slowed down its infantry advance towards enemy lines. On the other hand, the French didn’t see any Recon card, failing to put pressure on the German. The latter proved decisive, since the army of Guillaume II inexorably took the Poilu strong points one by one, relying on its overwhelming number superiority.

Scen 247 - Verdun (Fort Vaux) - 22 February 1916

EzPickins (German) - 4 medals, 36 figures lost
Viridovilas (French) - 7 medals, 31 figures lost

German started strong wiping out the MG defending the fortified redoubt on the French right flank and battering down the detachment placed inside Village Vaux. The Poilu than regrouped around the Fort Vaux stronghold taking advantage of their superior fire power. Notwithstanding a brave advance on their right flank, the German didn’t manage to break trough the French lines. As always, it was also a matter of the right rolls at the right moment!

File Attachment:

File Name: Rnd2Beaumo...las.vlog
File Size:186 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: Rnd7FortVa...las.vlog
File Size:240 KB
Attachments:

More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #955 by mk20336
Scen 245 - Verdun (Across the Meuse) - 6-9 March 1916

mk20336 (French) 7 medals, 21 figures lost
gotigerssc (Germans) 4 medals, 30 figures lost

Very hard scenario for Germans - still, Justin managed to take quickly one of my fortified positions. The key to French success was a Rush and Rotation card, allowing me to man the woods. Also, the true hero of the evening seemed to be a mortar - with proper cards that is really devastating tool.

Thanks to Justin for the play - that was challenging game :)

File Attachment:

File Name: TGW_MT05_s...o45.vlog
File Size:164 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by mk20336.

Time to create page: 1.475 seconds