ancients  battlecry  napoleonics  samuraibattles  thegreatwar    tricorne  redalert  medieval Support Us

The Great War Mini Tournament 4 - Cambrai

1 1 1 1 1 Rating 0% (0 Votes)

The Great War Mini Tournament 4 - Cambrai
Contact: gcallarigw

Scenarios
Rnd 1 126 - Cambrai (Siegfried Stellung Line - Part 2) - 20 November 1917
Rnd 2 131 - Cambrai (Fontaine-Notre-Dame) - 23-25 November 1917
Rnd3 133 - Cambrai (German Counter Attack) - 30 November 1917
Final 130 - Cambrai (St. Quientin Canal) - 21 November 1917

Schedule of Games

This table shows the match-ups and scenarios for each round.  The Alpha Group will play the German side and the Beta Group will play the British side.

Preliminary Rounds Scenario:
Round 1 gcallarigw 1 vs. 4 EZPickins 126 - Cambrai (Siegfried Stellung Line - Part 2) - 20 November 1917
Mark McG 2 vs. 5 Pickelhaube
Viridovilas 3 vs. 6 mk20336
Round 2 gcallarigw 1 vs. 5 Pickelhaube 131 - Cambrai (Fontaine-Notre-Dame) - 23-25 November 1917
Mark McG 2 vs. 6 mk20336
Viridovilas 3 vs.4 EZPickins
Round 3 gcallarigw 1 vs. 6 mk20336 133 - Cambrai (German Counter Attack) - 30 November 1917
Mark McG 2 vs. 4 EZPickins

German Match Game 1 Game 2 TOTAL Game 1 Game 2 TOTAL
Mark McG  6  8 14  24  42 66
Viridovilas  9  9 18  30  28 58
British Match
mk20336  9   9  46   46
EZPickins  8   8  34   34

Please report match results in the discussion below, including figure losses

mk20336's Avatar
mk20336 replied the topic: #891 2 weeks 5 days ago
Semifinals

Match1
mk20336 (Germans) 9 banners, 46-block lost
EzPickins (british) 8 banners, 34-block lost

That was long (2 sessions needed for that game), bloody (80 blocks lost in total - full 20 four-blocks units) and exciting game. Surprisingly, Germans had upper hand in the beginning but one nasty tank which bogged in trenches and absorbed like 20-30 attack dices was suborn to die. Finally it did but then the rest of forces was depleted and "paper lead" in VPs did not meant much. The game was exciting til the end and finished by the great German Combo - Storm of Fire + Mortar Barrage.

Great and exciting scenario!

File Attachment:

File Name: MT04_TGW_semi_g1.vlog
File Size:218 COM_KUNENA_USER_ATTACHMENT_FILE_WEIGHT

File Attachment:

File Name: MT04_TGW_s...ont.vlog
File Size:197 COM_KUNENA_USER_ATTACHMENT_FILE_WEIGHT
mk20336's Avatar
mk20336 replied the topic: #890 3 weeks 2 days ago
Guys,

just to update you - we play with Jon our semifinal games but due to the size of scenarios, timezone difference and vacation period it takes time to find enough amount of time :)
Viridovilas's Avatar
Viridovilas replied the topic: #889 1 month 4 days ago
Semifinals

Match1
Mark McG 6 banners, 24-block lost (British)
Viridovilas 9 banners, 30-block lost (German)

Match2
Mark McG 8 banners, 42-block lost (German)
Viridovilas 9 banners, 28-block lost (British)

It was a tough battle in both cases. My British tanks show a better efficiency than the Mark ones (i.e. they bogged down a lot less than his). And that was the main difference that led to the different outcome. In the first battle it proved to be decisive a machine gun provided with a heavy loader on the German right wing. It pinned for a while the British advance on that side of the battlefield, giving the rest of the army the time to reorganize and counterattack. During the return match, after an initial attack of the British infantries immediately repelled by the German defenders, the tanks took the centre of the stage and really proved to be unstoppable (they took an overall total of only two hits in the all battle). A final armoured charge on a machine gun fortified position on the British right closed the battle, after the allied had already secured the village of Bourlon.

File Attachment:

File Name: Semimatch1...las.vlog
File Size:241 COM_KUNENA_USER_ATTACHMENT_FILE_WEIGHT

File Attachment:

File Name: Semimatch2...las.vlog
File Size:274 COM_KUNENA_USER_ATTACHMENT_FILE_WEIGHT
Viridovilas's Avatar
Viridovilas replied the topic: #888 1 month 6 days ago
Thanks Gabriele for the clarification
gcallarigw's Avatar
gcallarigw replied the topic: #887 1 month 6 days ago
In similar cases I played giving the maximum number of banners to the winning side, and what he actually achieved to the loser. So 9 to the British and what they have at the moment to the Germans.
Viridovilas's Avatar
Viridovilas replied the topic: #886 1 month 6 days ago
Just a question:
I have given a look at the battle scheduled for the Semi-final.
How are we supposed to consider the case of British achieving a sudden victory due to no German unit occupying any Bourlon Wood hexes?

Shall we record it as a 9-0 victory of British? Or we may count the points German collected till the moment of the sudden victory...

Any ideas?

Max aka Viridovilas
gcallarigw's Avatar
gcallarigw replied the topic: #885 1 month 1 week ago
Tanks and stoßtruppen push on!
Mark McG's Avatar
Mark McG replied the topic: #884 1 month 1 week ago
SEMI-FINALS
Scenario: 132 - Cambrai (Bourlon Village & Wood) - 23-25 November 1917
Germans
MarkMcG vs. Viridovilas

Brits
mk20336 vs. EZPickins
Viridovilas's Avatar
Viridovilas replied the topic: #883 1 month 1 week ago
Round 3 Cambrai (German counter attack)

Pickelhaube (British): 0 banners and 25 block lost
Viridovilas (German): 7 banners and 6 block lost

File Attachment:

File Name: Rnd3Pickel...las.vlog
File Size:147 COM_KUNENA_USER_ATTACHMENT_FILE_WEIGHT

There is not much to say: British forces bravely attacked the German lines, but were welcomed by a devastating cross-fire (read a Butt & Bayonet, two Return fire and one Surprise Ambush played in a very quick sequence). Without being able to take any terrain where to get in cover, British infantries were inevitably hit repeatedly by the German rifles and bombers.
Viridovilas's Avatar
Viridovilas replied the topic: #882 1 month 2 weeks ago
Yes I think we can manage to play our battle this week.

I’ll keep all of you updated.

Thanks Gabriele,
gcallarigw's Avatar
gcallarigw replied the topic: #881 1 month 2 weeks ago
Hi Max, it's OK for me. Do you think you and Twan can play next week? Than we can have both semifinal and final in three-four weeks before August vacations.
Viridovilas's Avatar
Viridovilas replied the topic: #880 1 month 2 weeks ago
Hi there,

sorry to write so late, but I got aware of the new possible format only a few days ago.
Are you going to change the formula to make even the semifinals beyond the already scheduled final?

If so I have to kindly ask you a short postponement of the deadline date if possible.

Convinced that I was out of play I have in fact decided to give priorities this weekend to other tournaments where I’m involved (CcAncients and CcNapo).

I have already contacted Twan (my opponent) and I’m quite sure we can find soon a moment to play together.

Please only write if the intention is to play also the semifinals.

Thx and again sorry for the little delay,

Max aka Viridovilas
gcallarigw's Avatar
gcallarigw replied the topic: #879 1 month 3 weeks ago
That was also my idea (above the plain "fun" effect).
mk20336's Avatar
mk20336 replied the topic: #878 1 month 3 weeks ago
Both 130 and 132 are huge scenarios but I am ok with them being planned for semi and final. For sure, they cannot be won by chance :)
gcallarigw's Avatar
gcallarigw replied the topic: #877 1 month 3 weeks ago
I propose 132 - Cambrai (Bourlon Village & Wood) - 23-25 November 1917 for the semi-final (maintaining 130 for the final).
Mark McG's Avatar
Mark McG replied the topic: #876 1 month 3 weeks ago
I'm easy with that, but we had
130 - Cambrai (St. Quientin Canal) - 21 November 1917
for the Final

if there are Semi-Finals, another scenario is needed.

Maybe 130 - Cambrai (St. Quientin Canal) - 21 November 1917 for the semi-final, and another for the final?
gcallarigw's Avatar
gcallarigw replied the topic: #875 1 month 3 weeks ago
Initially we excluded semifinals, but we are in for the pleasure of playing, so I'll say why not? At the moment, I think I can bestow upon myself the title of "Best incarnation of a WWI general", thanks to my 105 figures lost.
mk20336's Avatar
mk20336 replied the topic: #874 1 month 3 weeks ago
Hi Guys,
not to push anybody but only one game left!

Also, how would we play next rounds of Minit Tournament? Semifinal are we jump immediately into Finals?
gcallarigw's Avatar
gcallarigw replied the topic: #872 2 months 9 hours ago
Take two:

Round 2 - 131 - Cambrai (Fontaine-Notre-Dame) - 23-25 November 1917

gcallarigw (Germans): 8 medals 35 figures lost
Pickelhaube (British): 6 medals 26 figures lost

We rewind until immediately before the "wrong" Recon card and continued from there. Twan had very bad luck, as the game went on just for that turn due to a triple Burst roll on my side which destroyed his last unit. Without that I would have probably not lasted much longer under the combined pressure of his tanks and infantry which had by then cleaned my trench line and were ready to assault the village.

File Attachment:

File Name: Round2_201...-17.vlog
File Size:187 COM_KUNENA_USER_ATTACHMENT_FILE_WEIGHT
gcallarigw's Avatar
gcallarigw replied the topic: #870 2 months 2 days ago
I absolutely agree about the Recon card, it cannot be allowed. I just sent a mail to Twan.
Mark McG's Avatar
Mark McG replied the topic: #869 2 months 2 days ago
Alternatively, roll through the logfile until you reach a point that is comfortable, and continue from there.
I know you can load a logfile and play it whilst a new logfile is recording, thus allowing a record of the whole match.

Generally small mistakes are just part of the game, but the Recon card business caught my eye, and as the game winning move, it can't really be allowed.
gcallarigw's Avatar
gcallarigw replied the topic: #868 2 months 2 days ago
Sorry, it's entirely my fault. I really made a mess, especially with point 6, as I know perfectly that rule (even the others, though for 5. I explicitly thought otherwise looking that the card speaks just of an ordered unit). I will ask Twan to play again or will concede the game to him if not possible within the deadline. My apologies again, guys.
Mark McG's Avatar
Mark McG replied the topic: #866 2 months 3 days ago
OK, some comments after reviewing the play log

1. Body Armor only works against ranged fire (saved 1 figure, not a big deal), but he gets down to 1 figure, Physician heals him.
2. Recon Right was played to activate Left unit.
3. Tanks that make a successful bonus attack MUST gain ground.
4. Soldiers moving into a building must stop.. even if using Over the Top moves. This cause a figure loss that meant the 7th German medal could be taken by the Mortar
5. Trench Foot does require the Infantry to move. boardgamegeek.com/thread/1579560/trench-foot-card
6. Taking a Permanent Victory Medal instead of drawing 2 command cards is not possible, if doing so would give the player his final Victory Medal to win the battle.

so the final medal is very problematic, or actually illegal.
gcallarigw's Avatar
gcallarigw replied the topic: #865 2 months 3 days ago
Round 2 - 131 - Cambrai (Fontaine-Notre-Dame) - 23-25 November 1917

gcallarigw (Germans): 8 medals 35 figures lost
Pickelhaube (British): 6 medals 21 figures lost

British pressed hard on the center from the very start (thanks also to a nefarious deadly bomber), but Germans managed to slow the advance and gain a couple of medals with their mortar. After that the MkIV on the left steamrollered no less than three German units, and those on the center started to advance towards the village , but time was almost up for the British, and a last Recon card closed the fight.
Mark McG's Avatar
Mark McG replied the topic: #864 2 months 3 days ago
so I think correct now. Managed to get myself into a confused mess. Sorry.

Random Quote

The United States must be neutral in fact as well as in name. We must be impartial in thought as well as in action. ~~~ US president Woodrow Wilson, August 1914 ~~~