Setting up the game (GMT)
- Select a battle from the scenario booklet. First time players should play the First Samurai Skirmish a non-historical scenario expressly designed to introduce players to the basics of Samurai medieval warfare using the Commands & Colors rules.
- Each scenario specifies which army is at the top or bottom of the battlefield, and players should sit on the side closest to the army they will command.
- Place the terrain tile hexes on the battlefield as indicated by the scenario’s battle map.
- Place the unit blocks and Leaders onto the battlefield, matching the various units’ positions and Leaders to the scenario’s battle map. Each unit symbol represents an entire unit. Each warring army has it’s own distinctive block color.
- Shuffe the Command card deck thoroughly and deal the number of Command cards to each player as indicated by the scenario’s battle notes. Keep the Command cards a secret from the opposing player. Set the remaining deck of Command cards facedown alongside the board within easy reach of the players.
- Shuffe the Dragon card deck thoroughly and deal the number of Dragon cards to each player as indicated by the scenario’s battle notes. Keep the Dragon cards a secret from the opposing player. Set the remaining deck of Dragon cards facedown alongside the board within easy reach of the players.
- Create a common Honor & Fortune token pool alongside of the battlefield. Each player takes the number of Honor & Fortune tokens from the common pool as indicated by the scenario’s battle notes and places these tokens in his own Honor & Fortune reserve pool in the area in front of him.
- Set the Victory Banner counters alongside of the battlefield.
- Place the battle dice within reach of both players.
- Review any special rules and victory conditions that apply for the scenario.
- The starting player, as indicated in the scenario’s battle notes, begins play.
Discuss this articleLog in to comment