Note – Bonuses from Inspired Leader, Command Cards, or Dragon Cards are applied after the maximum is figured and will let you exceed the maximum. For instance, an inspired samurai unit (square flag) in a forest will roll 3 dice. Normally they roll 4 dice, this is reduced to 2 for the forest hex, then add +1 for the inspiring leader.
- Forest – Unit must stop but can still battle. Maximum of 2 dice in or out, except for Ranged combat targeting a unit in a forest hex, which is a maximum of 1 die.
- Hill – Unit on a hill rolls a maximum of 3 dice. A unit not on a hill targeting a unit on a hill rolls a maximum of 2 dice.
- Ford/Stream – Must stop but can still battle. Unit on a ford hex has a maximum of 2 dice in close combat and 1 in ranged combat. Units targeting an opponent in a ford roll a maximum of 2 die.
- Bridge – No movement or battle restrictions, but a unit on a bridge may ignore 1 flag.
- Building – Must stop and cannot battle. Infantry in a building rolls 2 dice in close combat and 1 in ranged. Cavalry in a building rolls 1 die. Units attacking a target in a building roll 2 dice in close combat and 1 in ranged. Units in a building cannot be inspired. Units in buildings ignore 1 flag.
- Fields – Must stop but can battle. Cavalry units attacking from a field or attacking a unit in a field roll a maximum of 2 dice.
- Ravine – Must stop and cannot battle. Units in ravines battle with a maximum of 1 die in close and ranged combat. Infantry attacking a unit in a ravine rolls a maximum of 2 dice. Cavalry attacking a unit in a ravine rolls a maximum of 1 die. Units targeting an enemy unit in a ravine with ranged combat roll 1 die.