Planet control objective rules

More
4 years 11 months ago #98 by Old Dwarf
The rule states "•Planet control objective rules are in effect for both factions. One victory point is gained for each unit that occupies a planet hex at the start of the player’s turn. So if both players have a control marker on a planet they both get the victory Points? Or can only side
have control markers on a planet?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #99 by Deathjester117
The rules are a bit vague on planet control, but I think that basically you retain the control markers as long as a unit is there, they do not increase if an enemy unit is contesting the plant, they lose those markers if their unit is destroyed or forced to retire, and the enemy unit will then start getting faction markers if it remains on the planet (and is now uncontested).

e.g. A Commonwealth cruiser is currently controlling a hex on the planet and has been there for two turns, thus accumulating 2 markers. A Confederation destroyer charges in, attacks the cruiser and forces a retreat due to rolling a hit and 2 red alerts. The marker accumulated by the cruiser are lost since control of the planet has been lost. On the other hand, the Confederation destroyer will now start to gather markers of its own each turn since it is now the only remaining unit and so the planet is uncontested.

I think this is the way the mechanic works, although I could be wrong of course. I think it makes most sense anyway. Hope it helps :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Old Dwarf

More
4 years 11 months ago #100 by Old Dwarf
It Helped- I was rather thinking that control markers represent Military Units
on the ground that would contest control with each other. Now I realize they
would be more like Marine detachments dependent on their ship Unit.

Makes more sense considering the Scenarios depict fast paced space battles.

OD

More
4 years 11 months ago #102 by Old Dwarf
2nd Thoughts ? I reread the rules (the ones on KS as my Game doesn't
arrive till next week) & it says that once placed the control markers
remain.

So this leaves me to believe that both sides can have control markers on
a planet & that both sides control markers would count for Victory Points.

Still not 100% on this but I think I'll go with letting both sides have control
markers on a planet & assume the losing side surrenders at the end of
the Game.

More
3 years 5 months ago #113 by smmalecek
You collect the markers only if you are not adjacent to an enemy ship which is also on the planet, on a 4 or 6 hex planet both can collect as long as they are not adjacent to an enemy ship "in orbit". If the enemy ship is adjacent but not on a planet hex it does not negate collecting a marker. The markers stay in place except when wiped out by a meteor/meteorite or a special rule that allows an enemy to eliminate them. And they do all count toward victory even if an enemy ship is sitting on the hex at the time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Old Dwarf

More
3 years 1 month ago #114 by smmalecek
Sorry didn't reply before this. In general, you cannot collect control markers while adjacent to an enemy ship that is ALSO on the planet. Any control markers are retained even if no longer ship is on the planet and even if an enemy ship is sitting on the hex with the markers. The markers are removed only if stated in scenario rules or if playing with meteors which will destroy all markers in a hex it passes through.

Time to create page: 1.030 seconds