New Game Mechanic (Expansion 2)

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 Rating 0.00 (0 Votes)

Pre-Battle Mother Russia Roll

The Russian army took time to mobilize and was often committed to battle before all units had reached full strength. The Russians were also fond of fighting defensively behind entrenchments.
When pre-battle Mother Russia Roll rule is in effect, before the start of a battle, the Russian Commander rolls dice, equal to the number of his Command cards.
• For each Infantry symbol rolled, add one block to a line infantry unit to bring it up to paper strength (four blocks), place a paper strength counter in the unit’s hex. The added block increases the unit’s combat die roll by one.
• For each Cavalry symbol rolled, place a Cossack unit (a Cossack unit has 2 blocks) on an empty hex (no unit) adjacent to any already deployed Russian unit.
• For each Artillery symbol rolled, add one artillery block to an artillery unit to bring it up to paper strength (four blocks).
Place a paper strength counter in the unit’s hex. The added block does not increase the unit’s combat die roll by one.
• For each Saber symbol rolled, place an available field works hex (only a field works hex that covers 2 sides of the hex may be placed) on a hex with an infantry or artillery unit. If the unit is already on a terrain hex, replace the terrain hex with an available terrain hex that contains the terrain and
field works.
• For each Flag symbol rolled, add one block to a light infantry unit to bring the unit up to paper strength (four blocks) and place a paper strength counter in the unit’s hex.
The added block increases the unit’s combat die roll by one.
-OR- For each Flag symbol rolled, you may choose to do any one of the above four actions, unless the action is prevented in the scenario’s briefing notes.

A maximum of one block may be added to a unit.

Normally in a scenario when the Russian army is already set up in field works, a Saber symbol rolled will not place a field works.
This is noted in scenario’s briefing notes as “Pre-battle Mother Russia Roll rule is in effect. Saber rolls have no effect.” Cossack cavalry may not be deployed on a cavalry roll when the scenario’s briefing notes state, “Cavalry rolls have no effect.”

Print Email

CptHaddockPQ replied the topic: #5731 1 year 3 months ago
Yes, I think you're right, Mark-McG. Thank you both!
Mark-McG replied the topic: #5723 1 year 3 months ago
I'm hearing you both say the same thing;
Token makes starting strength =4, and max strength of 4.
Combat strength is determines by the number of blocks
Bayernkini replied the topic: #5721 1 year 3 months ago

The way I understand it, the token per se doesn't add to the dice roll (the added block does). Furthermore the token doesn't count as a block when the unit is hit.

You are wrong. Please read ALL russians rules (and FAQ if neccessary).

Therefore i only add one passage here

• For each Infantry symbol rolled, add one block to a line infantry unit to bring it up to paper strength (four blocks), place a paper strength counter in the unit’s hex. The added block increases the unit’s combat die roll by one.

and the token is only a substitute for a block. Why you need a token (or any ohter mechanic, to distinguish/remember the updated unit size),
is incidental, after you have read the complete russian rules (exact the mother russia rules).
CptHaddockPQ replied the topic: #5720 1 year 3 months ago
The way I understand it, the token per se doesn't add to the dice roll (the added block does). Furthermore the token doesn't count as a block when the unit is hit. So we only use it as a reminder in case we should use a rally card. Am I correct?
Bayernkini replied the topic: #5120 2 years 5 months ago

When it says "The added block increases the unit’s combat die roll by one", I assume this is not on top of the normal strength? For instance a regular infantry unit at paper strength (4) fires with 4 dice, not 5, correct?

The "normal" strength of a russian regular infantry before paper strength is 3 = 3 Dice
so the paper strength adds 1 block and increases the "normal" 3-battledice to 4!
pmiranda-napoleonics replied the topic: #5119 2 years 5 months ago
When it says "The added block increases the unit’s combat die roll by one", I assume this is not on top of the normal strength? For instance a regular infantry unit at paper strength (4) fires with 4 dice, not 5, correct?

Expansion 2 Scenarios

Random Quote

It would be a joke if the conduct of the victor had to be justified to the vanquished. ~Napoleon