EPIC01 Austerlitz (2 December 1805)
The Allied battle plan envisioned crushing the French right flank and then rolling up the French line. Around 8:00 AM on December 2, the first Allied columns began hitting the French right near the villages of Telnitz, Sokolnitz and the castle. Taking the villages, they threw the French back across Goldbach Stream. The French, led by Davout’s corps, counterattacked successfully. The Allies drew off most of their strength in the center to regain the initiative, and fighting around Sokolnitz raged throughout the day.
Believing that the Allied center had been sufficiently weakened, Napoleon ordered Soult forward. Advancing through the morning fog, General Louis de Saint-Hilaire’s division attacked up the heights and was thrown back after bitter fighting. Charging again, they managed to capture the heights. To their north, the Allies struck Vandamme’s position with the Russian Imperial Guards cavalry and infantry. Storming forward, they had some success before Napoleon committed his own heavy Guards cavalry to the fray, forcing the Russians to retreat. At the northern end of the battlefield, Prince Liechtenstein led Allied cavalry against Kellermann’s light cavalry who fell back behind Lannes’ infantry.
Lannes then moved forward against Prince Pyotr Bagration’s Russian infantry. Engaging in a hard fight, Lannes forced the Russians to retreat from the battlefield. To complete the victory, Napoleon turned south in a two-pronged attack, enveloping the Allied position. The Allied left collapsed. Those formations that did not surrender dissolved as the survivors fled en masse.
The stage is set. The battle lines are drawn and you are in command. Can you change history?
• Commander: Alexander I and Kutuzov
• 4 Command Cards
• 4 Tactician Cards
• Move First
• Commander: Napoleon
• 6 Command Cards
• 6 Tactician Cards
• The 4 hexes that make up Pratzen Heights form a Temporary Majority Group Victory Banner worth 2 banners for the side that occupies an absolute majority at the start of its turn. The Allies start with 2 Victory Banners.
• The 4 hexes that make up Stare Vinohrady (old vineyards) form a Temporary Majority Group Victory Banner worth 2 banners for the side that occupies an absolute majority at the start of its turn. The Allies start with 2 Victory Banners.
• The 6 town hexes of, Bosnitz, Blasowitz, Pratzen, the Castle (Walled Farm), Sokolnitz and Telnitz, form a Temporary Majority Group Victory Banner worth 3 banners for the side that occupies an absolute majority at the start of its turn. The French start with 3 Victory Banners.
• The Goldbach and streams are fordable and do not stop movement. Battling out is at –1 die, battling, into no reduction.
• The Satschan Mere is impassable.
• Pre-Battle Mother Russia Roll is in effect. Saber rolls have no effect.
I"The 4 hexes that make up Stare Vinohrady (old vineyards) form a Temporary Majority Group Victory Banner worth 2 banners for the side that occupies an absolute majority at the start of its turn. The Allies start with 2 Victory Banners.".
There are only 3 hill hexes in the setup of the scenario booklet?
It´s a mistake in the scenario booklet. The Vinohrady Heights has 4 hexes in the Epic scenario.
(Richard Borg; 2016 - 08 - 31)
Tags: Banners: 19, Army: Allies, Army: Austrian, Army: French, Army: Russian, Special Rule: Mother Russia, Special Rule: Temporary Majority VB (Turn Start), Special Rule: Epic, Expansion 6