PS01 Austerlitz (2 December 1805)
Austerlitz - 2 December 1805
The Battle of Austerlitz (December 2, 1805/11 Frimaire An XIV FRC), also known as the Battle of the Three Emperors, was one of the most important and decisive engagements of the Napoleonic Wars. Widely regarded as the greatest victory achieved by Napoleon, the Grande Armée of France annihilated a larger Russian and Austrian army led by Tsar Alexander I and Holy Roman Emperor Francis II. The battle occurred near the village of Austerlitz in the Austrian Empire (modern-day Slavkov u Brna in the Czech Republic). Because of the near-perfect execution of a calibrated but dangerous plan, the battle is often seen as a tactical masterpiece of the same stature as Cannae, the celebrated triumph by Hannibal some 2,000 years before. Austerlitz brought the War of the Third Coalition to a rapid end, with the Treaty of Pressburg signed by the exhausted Austrians later in the month.
The stage is set. The battle lines are drawn and you are in command. Can you change history?
Russian and Austrian Army
• Commander: Alexander I.
• 5 Command Cards
• Move First
• Commander: Napoleon I.
• 6 Command Cards
• The Goldbach and Littawa are a fordable rivers.
• The Russian/Austrian player gains 1 Temporary Victory Banner for each marked hex of town that Russian/Ausrtian unit occupies at the start of its turn (Temporary Victory Banner Turn Start)
• The Russian/Austrian player gains 2 Temporary Victory Banners for the hex of hill with field works (Santon hill) that Russian/Ausrtian unit occupies at the start of its turn (Temporary Victory Banner Turn Start)
• The French player gains 2 Permanent Victory Banners (possible to gain only once) for the marked hex of town (Pratzen village) occupied by the French unit at the start of its turn (Permanent Victory Banner Turn Start)
• The French player gains 1 Temporary Victory Banner for each marked hex of hill occupied by the French unit at the start of its turn (Temporary Victory Banner Turn Start)
• Pre-Battle Mother Russia Roll rule is in effect. Saber and cavalry rolls have no effect.
• Russian and Austrian Army have only 4 Command Cards
• Lakes are only lightly frozen, the ice is weak and it can break under the weight of soldiers.
A unit that enters the hex of frozen lake looses one block every end of players turn that it remains on the hex of frozen lake.
One block is lost also when the unit is only passing the hex of frozen lake (during the retreat). Leader casualty check is inactive here.
• Fog near village Pratzen lasts for 7 Russian rounds.
Movement Effects Battle Effects Block Line of Sights? May form Square? Morale Effect on Defender
Inf Cav Art
Into Must stop* -2 -2 -2 Yes Yes Retreat 2 hexes fo each flag
Out None -1 0/+1** -2
* Units may not battle the turn it moves onto a fog hex.
** +1 all types of light cavalry
• Davout Corps (HC + LNwC) on the right baseline are the first 7 Russian rounds inactive and they cannot be attacked. These 2 hexes are for the first 7 Russian rounds considered impassable.