EPIC10 Möckern (16 October 1813)
Napoleon had chosen Leipzig as his central position to defeat the widely separated Allied armies as they advanced to give battle.
Early on the 16th, Napoleon ordered Marmont’s Corps to join him, but Blücher, Napoleon’s implacable enemy, had advanced from the north more quickly than anticipated, and Blücher’s advanced guard required Marmont to turn back to face the approaching Prussians and Russians. With the French drawn up between Möckern and Podelwitz, Blücher went on the offensive.
Langeron’s Russians moved forward on Gross and Klein Wiederitzsch, while Yorck and the Prussians advanced on Möckern.
The Russians outnumbered the Poles, but many of the Poles were veterans of years of combat in Spain and fought fiercely from within the villages. The Russians advance was held off twice.
Langeron, hoping for a breakthrough, ordered his Russian cavalry to charge, but a counter charge by the Polish and French cavalry threw the Russian cavalry back. One final massive Russian push finally forced the Poles to abandon the villages. While at Möckern, the village changed hands a number of times through the day’s fighting. Finally, with all the Prussian reserves committed, Yorck ordered his cavalry to charge Möckern. The bold move swept away the remaining French in the village, but the exhausted Prussian cavalry was unable to pursue what was left of the French forces as they fell back.
The stage is set. The battle lines are drawn and you are in command. Can you change history?
• Commander: Blücher
• 5 Command Cards and 4 Iron Will Counters
• 5 Tactician Cards
• Move First
• Commander: Marmont
• 5 Command Cards
• 4 Tactician Cards
• The Allies gain 1 Temporary Victory Banner at the start of the turn for occupying each town Gross and Klein Wiederitzsch. The French gain 1 Temporary Victory Banner when no Allied units occupy Gross or Klein Wiederitzsch. The French start with 2 Victory Banners.
• The Allies gain 1 Permanent Breakthrough Victory Banner for every unit, excluding Cossacks, that exit the battlefield from any hex on the French baseline.
• The three town hexes of Möckern, the Tower and Manor form a Temporary Majority Group Victory Banner worth 3 Temporary Banners for the Prussians and 2 Temporary Banners for the French. The French start with 2 Victory Banners.
• The Elster River is impassable except at the ford and bridge.
• The Stream has no battle restrictions, but stops movement and will break a cavalry charge. This means cavalry ordered by a Charge Command card will not gain additional die listed on the Charge card, if cavalry unit moves onto, starts on or is on a breakthrough through the stream.
• Pre-Battle Mother Russia Roll is in effect. Saber rolls have no effect.
Tags: Banners: 15, Army: Allies, Army: French, Army: Prussian, Army: Russian, Special Rule: Exit VB, Special Rule: Mother Russia, Special Rule: Temporary Majority Group VB, Special Rule: Temporary VB (Turn Start), Special Rule: Epic, Expansion 6