515 Vauchamps (14 February 1814)
Vauchamps - 14 February 1814
The Battle of Vauchamps was the final major engagement of Napoleon’s Six Days Campaign. On 13 February, reeling from his three successive defeats, Blücher looked to disengage from Napoleon and instead manoeuvre with part of his forces to fall upon the isolated Corps of Marshal Marmont and regain the initiative. Napoleon anticipated Blücher’s move and had himself moved to support Marmont. On the morning of the 14th Marmont continued to fall back, but counter-attacked once Napoleon arrived. With French resistance stiffening, Blücher realized that he now was facing the Emperor and decided belatedly to pull back. Blücher’s attempt to disengage, however, proved extremely difficult, as the Allied force was in an advanced position and had virtually no cavalry present to cover the retreat. While the actual battle for Vauchamps was short, the Allied forces suffered heavy losses when the French infantry, under Marshal Marmont, and most of all, the cavalry under Grouchy, launched a relentless pursuit. At nightfall, Blücher opted for an exhausting night march in order to take his remaining forces to safety.
The stage is set. The battle lines are drawn and you are in command. Can you change history?
Allied Army (Prussian, Russian)
• Commander: Blücher
• 5 Command Cards & 3 Iron Will Counters
• 3 Tactician Cards
• Commander: Napoleon
• 6 Command Cards
• 6 Tactician Cards
• Move First
• The French player gains 1 Temporary Victory Banner at the start of the turn for each town hex a French unit occupies (Temporary Victory Banner Turn Start)
• French line infantry units are conscripts and do not receive one additional die in melee when attacking an enemy infantry unit.
• The River Le Petit Morin is fordable.
• Pre-Battle Mother Russia Roll is not in effect.
• The French player gains 1 Victory Banner for each French cavalry unit the exit the battlefield from any hex on the Allied baseline.
In this scenario "Blücher" get only 3 Tactician Cards, in all other existing scenarios he get 5 TC´s. Is this a mistake in scenario notes or is it correct?
- Three is correct Blücher was in all kinds of trouble at Vauchamps.
(Richard Borg: 2015 - November - 01)