MD17 Messkirch (5 May 1800)
Battle of Messkirch
5 May 1800
On 25 April 1800 the French Armée d'Allemagne, under Jean Victor Marie Moreau, crossed the Rhine River at Kehl and Schaffhausen. The 1st Demi-Brigade, of the Corps led by Laurent de Gouvion-Saint-Cyr, conquered St. Georgen and entered the Black Forest at Freiburg im Breisgau.
After conquering Stuhlingen, 25 km south of Donaueschingen, the unit took part in the Battle of Stockach and Engen on 3 May, after which the Austrian retreated to Messkirch where they enjoyed a more favourable defensive position.
The French repeatedly assaulted the town on 4 and 5 May always in vain. The 1st Demi-Brigade, despite the Austrian superiority there, was able to conquer Krumbach and the heights surrounding it, which commanded Messkirch. Therefore the Austrian moved back to Sigmaringen, followed by the French.
The Battle of Biberach ensued on 9 May.
The stage is set. The battle lines are drawn and you are in command. Can you change history?
• Commander: Paul Kray von Krajowa
• 5 Command Cards
• (Optional 3 Tactician Cards)
• Commander: Jean Moreau
• 6 Command Cards
• (Optional 4 Tactician Cards)
• Move First
• Vandamme is a Leader of Honor
• River Ablach is impassable and can be crossed only on bridge.
• Each town hex of Messkirch is a Temporary Victory Banner Objective Hex (Turn Start) for the French (Temporary Victory Banner Turn Start)
The Bavarian units use the general russian rules/charts, except the LN have 4 blocks.
So the bavarian LN may ignore 1 flag.
Use any different color blocks of other nations, to represent the Bavarian Forces.